Different types of PLCs

Amo

What are the main differences between the following types pf PLC's

Unitary or brick
Modular
Rack mounted

Thanks

Rather than tell you the differences between those three types of PLC, I'll tell you what they share in common. All three are mentioned in the British HNC course, and the terminology is rarely encountered anywhere else.

By posting here, you're asking the question of people who use PLCs in real-world applications. The overwhelming response is likely to be "who cares"?

Question

Unitary or brick
Modular
Rack mounted

Answer (as Steve states) WHO Cares!!

Amo, do yourself a favour and research your homework questions yourself, rather than hoping that some kind sole at this web site will do it for you.

Paul

I am beginning to feel embarrased at being in the UK. This self same question and many others like it come up on here, year after year.

It makes our education system look very old and dated.

Each year we ask the student to tell his tutor to visit this site but it never happens.

Amo, I cannot believe that after all these years there isn't a text for this course that explains the obsolescent terminology they are pushing on you guys!

HELP

I myself have also logged on here to find out about unitary, modular / rack-mounted plc's, as the net does not bring up very many links to help students with this assignment. Our college does not have a library, so our only source of information is the internet. Our tutor wants us to find the information from the internet - but all we ever get is obnoxious reply's from people who are can't be arsed to help!

What, may I ask, is this forum for if people cannot ask questions and get a civil answer??? Or is it because no-one can answer the question themselves? (Prove me wrong if you can!)

If there is anyone out there that actually knows the answer, and understands that students do need to learn by asking people for advice and help, please can you post a proper reply??

banghead

Whoa there berni_eves !!

these comments are derived from the fact that the questions/querys posed by students would appear to have absolutly no work or thought putting in to them, being so typically "Homework" the people on this site view these as being demanding rather than asking. Most people who us this site show there attampts then ask for help, for example if
the post was written,

" I have a homework assignment, it follows

Unitary or brick
Modular
Rack mounted

I believe that they are,

Unitary - blah blah blah
Modular - brickwork blah
etcetc

can anyone please help with further explanations are Modular the same as Rack?? is the differance frames. expandability?"""

if this forum receives queryies with effort nine times out of ten they receive what can only be described as help from quite possibly the absolute experts in this field given freely and willing to assist others even students, however if there is no effort on the student but to type his hoemwork it will receive nothing more than obnoxious replys as all the people here had to work hard to get to where they are as previously mentioned without the use of internet.

If you bear in mind that most of the people here are at the top level of expertise, and would charge high rates to train individuals, give information for free on this site, on there own time,,, giving not taking...

then don't get annoyed when these people see the same "spam" over and over again, there is only so much patience ........

ask a question, show your effort, and you will receive the finest expert answers from the best people in the industry, the ones that actually do this for a living,,,,

:site:

Mylo

Well said, Mylo... (y)

Regarding students showing effort:

demotivators_1764_1097617

beerchug

-Eric

A teachable moment

Well Berni_eves, you've done your research on the internet and if you're as smart as you like to think you are, should be able to understand the answer you've been given.

The only problem is, the answer isn't the one the tutor wants. The tutor wants a definition of three terms that nobody but the HNC exam ever uses. The answer you've been given is that people who really, truly earn a living doing this kind of work don't care about questions that belong in the 'Trivial Pursuit, Automation Edition' game. Furthermore, those same people don't have much respect for people whose response to a bit of adversity is to whine about how unfair life is.

I dare you to use this answer:

"I have extensively researched this question, putting it to dozens of practitioners in the field of industrial automation. The overwhelming response is that the ability to recite arbitrary definitions is immaterial to understanding how to select the proper tool for the task at hand. Furthermore, there are many definitions in common use for the various sizes and styles of PLCs, so if I come up with a plausible answer, you'd better give me a passing grade."