Difficult Telemetry location

In a previous life, we did a lot of VHF comms all over Florida for both wellfield and wastewater systems. Been about 10 years, and I work for a different company that does not do any of this type of work, but the stuff was rugged and reliable. Moxa is one that comes to mind.

As Mendonsy suggested, standalone capability is a real plus if comms are lost.

Leased frequency use is very common in this field.

We have done this using cell network with a central client location hosted server as well as Microsoft Azure server, talking to over 100 field devices. We did not use any non-Microsoft products as we did not have good luck with them in stressed situations. Microsoft SQL Server with Microsoft Visual Studio works best. They are free & no licensing to deal with & performance is excellent for both desktop windows & Web front-ends.

No thanks to Microsoft stuff. If the customer adds a SCADA it will be Ignition and run on Windows 7 Pro. That is as far as I am willing to go with Microsoft products. At first we will use the data logging capability of the Graphite HMI.

OKiePC, No offence to anyone, just a simple tech note for you....If someone does not like Microsoft, they should not use Microsoft Windows. If MS Windows is being used, Microsoft is everywhere in that system. With Java based products running in MS Windows, requires JVM, additional layers & also makes it more vulnerable to hacking.
We have used Java based HMI systems & they visually look very nice, (although one can make Microsoft products built front-ends as nicer or better also) but are subject to plumbing problems as recently we replaced a large Java scada system (recently installed) by MS solutions. Good Luck.