DIN rail mount unmanaged ethernet switch

Matthias von Zorn said:
I will have to check that out too. Ive been trying to find some for cheap, and about 260 is as cheap as ive found. Our phenoix vendor quoted us 399 for the 5 port unmanaged as well. Ill get that new # to them. So far, ive been using standard commercial switches with 2 sticky backs and 2 zip ties and sticking them to the side of the panel. And, at 7.99, who cares? ;) Never had one fail either, and these are in heat treats with ******t over 100 not uncommon.
matt
Is there any galvanic isolation in these cheap comercial types ? If the specs doesnt specifically mention it, dont count on that there is.

ndzied1, thank you, for the info on the $100 Phoenix Contact unit. You are correct, I was quoted the heavier duty version at $400, but with a 60°C rating the $100 unit will work for the once a week data download connection needed. A control.com star for you.

Alaric, "If you are feeling cheap . . . "
I'm not. Having been burned repeatedly with floppy disk drives rated at 40°C that fail at 40.1°C (104°|F for us Americans), I am loathe to use any consumer grade components, like D-link or Linksys in a panel.

Mathias, "And, at 7.99, who cares?"
Me. I can't afford a plane ticket, on my dime, to fly to Texas, NJ or MS from Chicago to replace an e-net switch that fails on a hot day. The price differential for an industrial switch is far less than a plane ticket.

Ladderlogic gets a control.com star for his links. Thanks.

Moxa recommenders: I emailed Moxa for a quote two and a half working days ago, no response yet. Shame on them.

Dan

Are you affiliated with control.com or did you mean a plctalk or plcs.net star? $100 does sounds like a great deal for an industrial switch! I'd like to hear your thoughts on the quality.

danw said:
ndzied1, thank you, for the info on the $100 Phoenix Contact unit. You are correct, I was quoted the heavier duty version at $400, but with a 60°C rating the $100 unit will work for the once a week data download connection needed. A control.com star for you.

Alaric, "If you are feeling cheap . . . "
I'm not. Having been burned repeatedly with floppy disk drives rated at 40°C that fail at 40.1°C (104°|F for us Americans), I am loathe to use any consumer grade components, like D-link or Linksys in a panel.

Mathias, "And, at 7.99, who cares?"
Me. I can't afford a plane ticket, on my dime, to fly to Texas, NJ or MS from Chicago to replace an e-net switch that fails on a hot day. The price differential for an industrial switch is far less than a plane ticket.

Ladderlogic gets a control.com star for his links. Thanks.

Moxa recommenders: I emailed Moxa for a quote two and a half working days ago, no response yet. Shame on them.

Dan

Oops, I meant eng-tips.com, not control.com.

Stars refer to the little likc-'em stick'em stars that the elementary school kids get as a reward. A thank you for replies. Sometime I type faster than I think.

Dan

lol, eng-tips, ugh - ok! Stars are good. Especially the gold and silver ones!

danw said:
Oops, I meant eng-tips.com, not control.com.

Stars refer to the little likc-'em stick'em stars that the elementary school kids get as a reward. A thank you for replies. Sometime I type faster than I think.

Dan