Displaying fractions of inches

Every intern or newly graduated employee tries to convince me that everything will be metric in 5 to 10 years, and I should convert all or our drawings and calculations to metric.

Of course, the professors were saying that when I was in school, and that was "a little" more than 5 years ago. I will go metric when I can go to the local hardware store and buy a 10 mm cap screw for the same price as a 3/8" one.

randomFire said:

So really, what is the reason why America is still imperial?
Sheer momentum. I think it will eventually happen, but I will take a few dozen years.

A lot of automotive parts are metric. Almost all of the part prints we see are metric.

There is exactly one mainstream item in the US I can think of that is metric and that is the 2 liter sooda bottle. You can also find 1 liter bottles but in that size you can also get 20oz or even 24oz bottles.

The liquor industry has also some 750ml bottles but you can also get pints etc...

The only way I see total metrification over here is if all the hard tooled industries could buy new equipment at the same time. Not gonna happen any time soon.

When I do hmi's I usualy add a function key to switch units between in and mm. And also between psi and bar where needed.

Ok, what are the units of mass? We don't have a good unit of mass. I found the metric system much easier to do calculations that do force or mass calculations. I have since got familiar with gravitational constants but it is a pain.

BTW, the US does not use imperial gallons which are bigger than our US gallons. I remember this confusion in 1979 when I went to Canada for a year. Some places were switching to metric. Some gas stations dispensed gas in imperial gallons and others used US gallons.

One of these days the US will pull its head out and join the rest of the world. I wonder how much it costs us each year not being metric like the rest of the world.

Peter Nachtwey said:
Ok, what are the units of mass? We don't have a good unit of mass. I found the metric system much easier to do calculations that do force or mass calculations.

I agree. But how many people do you know who don't know the difference between mass and weight?

I know of one person who I tried to explain the difference and he just could not get it.

Rick Densing said:
A lot of automotive parts are metric. Almost all of the part prints we see are metric.

I agree there. Most of what we have in our plant is metric...or at least until something breaks and we put standard in it.

I love my large cheat sheet of Fraction to decmial to metric. Comes in handy

Peter Nachtwey said:

One of these days the US will pull its head out and join the rest of the world. I wonder how much it costs us each year not being metric like the rest of the world.

Britain, still likes to drive in Miles, and buy milk and Beer in Pints (Proper Big British ones.

Can't seem to completely embrace all aspects of the Metric system, but I guess it will finally arrive.

It just won't sound right to go to the Pub for "a 500mls" :D

gbradley said:
Is there a difference between mass and weight here on Earth?

It depends... mass it the amount of matter in a given object. the weight of the object is the pull of gravity on that mass. Take away gravity, and you have no weight but still have mass.

I remember reading about Winston Smith, the main character in Orwell's "1984", still having trouble ordering beer in "half litres" instead of pints. Maybe that book sparked an aversion to "going metric". Again a "Comunist Plot" (like Lenin's Tomb). What an interesting thread from such a simple question.

The US used Imperial units when it was a colony, when we became our own country we developed our own measurement system which differed from Englands. For several hundred years this system was used and taught in this country.

Most industries in the US are tooled for the OLD US convention so think about the cost to change it "all at once".

In the US the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) governs Weights and Measures in the US. This is the outfit that makes sure when you buy a gallon of milk, gas etc its actually a gallon regardlesss of what state you are in.

The NIST has passed laws and developed programs for changing to metric.
METRIC CONVERSION ACT OF 1975

http://ts.nist.gov/ts/htdocs/200/202/mpo_hom2.htm

Some industries are requred already to use the Metric system.

In time we will all use the metric system and the World dollar.

Shame on the lot of you.

This is not funny. What are the units of mass in British units? NO ONE KNOWS? This is why I don't think that learning a PLC is as important as learning physics. This is basic stuff.

How can you guys size a motor correctly? I know my customers often screw this up and the hydraulic designs can be even worse.

I still go to the field from time to time to help a customer get his system going. Often the PLC programmer is stuck with a system where the output of the controller is saturated at 10 volts because some one could get the force, mass and acceleration calculations right. A PLC programmer that doesn't know this stuff will not realize he has been handed a can of worms. He will just have to endure people blaming him instead of the real culprit.

Now what are the units for mass? Ok, I make this easier. What are the units of mass in the metric system?

BTW. I would mulitply the fractional inches by 16 then use the integer units to index into an array of strings. This would provide fraction in 1/16ths.