Displaying fractions of inches

First of all I will address Tom's reply..

Sorry, I made a bit of a mistake.. the 2.339M, I haven't got a clue where that came from... :oops:
That's not even the standard height or width of a container (2.59M high by 2.44M wide) 8'6" by 8".

Oh well, my excuse is I have had a long hard day....

George,
Yes, we do call them 20 footers and 40 footers..

When we 'set' our spreaders up to the correct lengths to be able to pick these containers up, we measure from twistlock to twistlock in mm's not inchs! So we set a spreader up in metric lengths to pick up a container that is imperial.

The sizes I have quoted (the imperial ones that is) are the ISO sizes

Paul

Ah well, Paul tomorrow is another day.

I screwed up myself (again!). I started wondering about the Thomas Jefferson statement, so I did a little searching. Turns out I was wrong - Jefferson did in fact express admiration for the metric system, but it didn't achieve the force of law until much later. Here is more accurate info:

1791 - "Jefferson Report." Thomas Jefferson described England's weight and measures standards to Congress "on the supposition that the present measures are to be retained," and also outlined a decimal system of weights and measures of Jefferson's conception.

1821 - "Adams Report." John Quincy Adams recommended to Congress that they act to bring about uniformity in weights and measures, and described France's young Metric System as a praiseworthy attempt at uniformity.

1866 - "Law of 1866." Congress made use of the Metric System legally permissible throughout the United States.

This came from:

http://www.cftech.com/BrainBank/OTHERREFERENCE/WEIGHTSandMEASURES/MetricHistory.html

Tom Jenkins said:
Ah well, Paul tomorrow is another day.

Yep, tomorrow sure is another day...

But, tomorrow the whole of Thamesport Engineering department management and supervisors are being taken out for a 'team building' day...

Paintballing!

Here's where we are going Click here

I want to know, are the paint pellets being fired at me metric or imperial pellets, cause ain't imperial pellets that little bit bigger than the metric equivalents?

Oh, what fun!!

Not!!!

Paul

Paul,

I find paint ball great fun. We play in the old abndon buildings in the local "hood" (urban dwellers that we are). Get a pair of coveralls. Have fun.

Yes Cool Site.
I didn't see a mention of the Google.
My kid calls it a googlen 1 with 100 zeroes after it.
:p

PLucas said:

I want to know, are the paint pellets being fired at me metric or imperial pellets, cause ain't imperial pellets that little bit bigger than the metric equivalents?

Oh, what fun!!

Not!!!

Paul

Over here they are 68 caliber which is 0.68" so I guess that would make them Imperial. I'm pretty sure they sell the same markers everywhere.

It's not the size of the ball that makes it hurt its the fact that its travelling at about 280 ft/s, I'm not going to convert that to metric for you though.

Actually it is a lot of fun, as long as your on the winning team.

I got shot in the kidney at point blank range once. Now that definately was not fun. Thats what I get for looking the wrong way.

Here’s one for everyone. What is the smallest measurement of time? (A radio trivia question I heard a while back.) The answer is relatively easy but the prefix spelling doesn’t look to be standard. I found three different spellings.

Trivial factoid: The kilogram is the only SI unit still defined as an actual thing, it's a block of platinum/iridium alloy kept in Paris whose mass is, by definition, 1 Kg. There are a number of copies around the world and every few years their masses are compared to see if any have changed. Apparently they want to re-define the Kg in terms of fundamental constants but haven't been able to agree on what to use.

And I still remember that "A litre of water's a pint and three-quarters", that "Two and a quarter pounds of jam weigh about a kilogram" and that "A metre measures three foot three; it's longer than a yard, you see."

It's the time between pressing "Yes" at the "Do you want to save changes" prompt and realising that the answer was really "No".....I think it's called a nano-wince.