DL 240 Direct Logic PLC

Steve Jackson

I have worked with Automation Direct line of PLCs before but it has been several years. I am looking to back up (save) PLC programs for my company. I am connected with DirectSoft 5.3, but it will not allow me to view online program. Is it the software?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

I may have found my own answer. It seems I am limited by the FREE software to view offline but not online. I can see the first 20 lines of PLC code, but nothing more. If I attempt to save, the software warns me that project cannot be reopened with Free software. Looks like I will have to purchase the Full 5.0 version or 6.0.

Last edited:
You might be better off buying a Do More processor to replace the 240. Do More software is free. If you can get the program from the 240 into your laptop, you can import it into Do More software and use the migrate tool. I don't think you have to open it with DS5 to do that.

Last edited:
You might be better off buying a Do More processor to replace the 240. Do More software is free. If you can get the program from the 240 into your laptop, you can import it into Do More software and use the migrate tool. I don't think you have to open it with DS5 to do that.

The small uptick in price versus buying Directsoft is well worth the trade up.

Thanks for the replies. I believe my PLC logic is saved with the free version. I don't have the documentation, but the entire code is only 21 lines and I have the printout of the original on paper in the electrical cabinet. I will still need to buy the Full version (5.0 0r 6.0) to be ONLINE with the processor from what I see so far. Thanks for the help!