DL06 Compare Function

I just type it up in notepad. Then I put "["code"]" at the top and at the bottom "["/code"]". Just remove the quote marks. I need to put them in to display the html code.

Last edited:
theDave2,

Testsubject's a little tired these days.. with school and all...

So the answer to the second part of your question is YES the DL-O6 is programed with DS32, However they have a full version, and "brick" versions which are not functional with all the AD PLC line.

Mike,

I am tired but I do not think that I am THAT tired...lol

I thought his question was how do I get the code to display the way I did.

thedave2,

AFASK, DS32 does not have a way of generating the ladder logic in ASCII. It has to be typed up seperately either directly in the reply box or in a simple text editor like Notepad. I prefer to do it notepad because I have lost many paragraphs from doing in a reply box when I forget to enter my password or some such thing. You can write a program that would work in a 250-1 or 260 in the Brick software, you just cannot download it into the processor. You can do this because the 06 supports all the codes that are in the 250-1 and 260. You just have to be careful with any special bits.

testsubject said:

AFASK, DS32 does not have a way of generating the ladder logic in ASCII. ...

Rats. I was hopping that there was a feature in DS32 that I have overlooked. Sure wish PLC companies would include this, just like it was in the old DOS versions of programms.

I, for one, like to print my ladder list on 11 x 14 green bar, pin feed paper. That way I can leaf thru it, scribble notes and turn up the corner of pages that I want to remember. Sure beats having zillions of 8 1/2 x 11 pages in a notebook with only 1 or two rungs on a page.

AB had ascii listing on thier *to do* list many years ago, for RSLogix 500, don't know if they've done it as I'm still using v4.50.

thedave2,

If you're laser printer can handle 11 x 17 you could use that. just turn your print to landscape. You can get more of the ladder on each page by changing the scale. I find 75% is still very legible.

I still have stations running on DOS. And I'm still using a very Tried and True friend named X-Tree Gold. It still beats the living hell out of Windows Explorer.

There were times when I wanted a readable print of a file but didn't have the original application and print-driver. Trying to print a file without the appropriate driver can be... well... printers can be kinda squirrely sometimes. An unanticipated Escape-Sequence can be a killer... all too often they result in a ream of paper being used with only one character on each page.

As long as the file type is FAT, and not NT, I can bring up a HEX version of any file. A little decoding (finding header info, strange form-feeds and other unusual sequences) and I can find the "meat".

I don't have much need to do so these days but, I used to decode those files (pencil & paper) and then write a program in Fortran or C to strip, parse and interpret the file into a readable form.

It took a little extra work to convert an original 80-char print into a 132-char print.

It basically boiled down to striping the file down to bare bones, then rewinding (boy, there's a term you don't hear much these days) and finding the beginning and end of the first section and then loading that section into a scratch-area. Then the fun began... striping, substituting, reorganizing, etc. Sometimes substitution meant invoking alternative keyboard characters; such as those in MS-Linedraw. They work great for making boxes and what-not.

Then continue, one section at a time, until the process was done.

The final step was to insert the appropriate header info and pagination (FF's) for the given printer.

WARNING: If you have no patience for data-processing... forget it. If you have no talent, well, you might give it a try... you might learn something.

Having created the program, it was a simple matter to run any similar subject-files through the process to get readable results.

Of course, the program went through many revisions. There was always an oddball piece of code showing up when I least expected it (more paper with only one character - Damn! I wish I had a nickle for each of those pages!).

Oh, yeah... I have a Laser Printer from "Brother". They include this great little driver for printing multiple pages (2, 4, 8, 16) on a single page. If my print is 132-wide I tend to stick with 2 on 1 (8.5 x 11) in landscape. If my print is 80-wide I sometimes go to 4 on 1 (8.5 x 11) in portrait. More so if I'm running 11 x 17.

It would be nice if someone wrote a utility to generate "PLCS.net" ASCII art from the mnemonic representation of the program.

If we could have a program that would read a text file that contains:

XIC I:0.0/11 XIC I:0.0/0 OTE B3:0/1

and automatically output:

| I:0.0/11 I:0.0/0 B3:0/1
|----] [-------] [-------------( )

for use in posting examples here in the forum.

Of course, it would have to accept the different formats used by each software package, but most offer a mnemonic representation. DirectSOFT exports a text file like this:

STR X104
AND X100
OUT C10

which would generate:

| X104 X100 C10
|----] [-------] [-------------( )

It would be difficult to have it represent ALL of the instructions available for each brand, but the more 'common' instructions should be doable... :confused:

The biggest benefit would be that once converted to this "PLCS.net" format, it should be an easy task to write a similar program that would reverse the process, and generate mnemonic code from the PLCS.net 'generic' ladder. That would make it easier to share code between brands.

I don't have the time (nor the talent) to take on something like this, but there's gotta be someone around here that's up the challenge... ;)

beerchug

-Eric

Terry Woods
Be the computer

Not many people can conceive such a logical assumption! This is not due to their lack of knowledge of the subject. Not many people can think in such abstract ways as you and I do. When I taught logic I challenged all of my students to "break down" ideas to their rudementary form. Take small steps toward the ultimate solution. It is very refreshing to find others that think and advocate the same way! Using simple DOS commands I once wrote a dump program, ascii is all it printed from a file, ignoring page breaks and other stuff like multiple line feeds, what a paper saver!

no help for the problem,,,NOW
Bitmore

Last edited:
Eric Nelson said:
It would be nice if someone wrote a utility to generate "PLCS.net" ASCII art from the mnemonic representation of the program.

I may have to take you up on this. This is a real good idea. I am just starting a Java Class this morning. Who knows maybe by the end of the semester I might have something for the DS32 to start...

Bob 📚

Sure, give it a go, Bob... (y)

I wouldn't have a clue where to start... :oops:

beerchug

-Eric

P.S. Don't spend too much time making it capable of displaying stage instructions. No one uses them... ;) :D

I made a visit to the dark side once a few years ago. I have no plans to ever return... ;)

I prefer my generic stage programming I explained a while back in THIS post. I don't have the luxury of sticking with one brand, so I need code that works the same in whetever brand the customer dictates.

beerchug

-Eric