Does anyone know what this component is in a circuit board?

It may be misnamed, but that is what the Chinese are calling a spark-gap device that shunts excess current to a ground point.
Shunting means it acts like a wire. Does not absorb energy. A surge absorber does not exist even if a Chinese to English translator gets it wrong.

It may be a spark gap. Or may be any of other above suggestions. No conclusions exist - only speculation.

A definitive answer exists when interconnections are defined. That device even looks similar to a 1N4148 diode - among the many possiblities. If to be replaced, then spec numbers for a replacement part also must be defined. Just another reason why interconnections need be defined.

Last edited:
Shunting means it acts like a wire. Does not absorb energy. A surge absorber does not exist even if a Chinese to English translator gets it wrong.
Dont you have anything more important to waste your time with ?
edit: I want to be anal retentive too. Here is a link that explains that a "shunt" can be a "ligthning arrestor": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shunt_(electrical)#Lightning_arrestor

That device even looks similar to a 1N4148 diode -
Thats what I thought at first, but looking closer, no it cant be an 1N4148 diode.
And it is probably not a diode at all.
Think about the -(Z)- symbol underneath. It has no polarity. How would you know which way to install the diode ?

Last edited:
Look at the components. It's a power supply. MOV's, caps, chokes.
It's a spark gap. See posts 22-25. They are accurate.
I agree with post 30.

If we had tried, by now we could together have designed a new circuit that did not use this Spark Gap.