Does FactoryTalk ME have a user database?

sanger

I need an ME application to be able to log some data records (event based, not timed) and then be able to export them to a file. ME has a DataStore ActiveX control but I'm not sure if it can record records based on an event trigger or just timed.

If there is a SQL Server database visible to the ME station does it have the capability to write records to the database from a script? I'm thinking of this as an alternative if the ME station does not have the storage capacity needed.

Two years ago I fiddled around with enabling and disabling the DataStore ActiveX in order to make its periodic logging feature work like an event log. I got it to work for a very small number of tags that didn't change any faster than every 2 seconds.

For a while, RA was promising to make FTView ME an Alarms & Events subscriber, but to my knowledge that has not occurred and the December 2014 FTA&E Reference Manual states flatly that FTView ME does not support FTA&E.

The need to write controller and HMI events to a simple SQL database is one of the reasons I switched to Indusoft Web Studio for my machine HMI needs.