Does Rockwell Automation have an Input that will receive an input from a Load Cell

Good Afternoon ,

Does Rockwell Automation have an Input Card , maybe in the 1734 series , or CompactLogix series that will receive signals from a Loadcell ? I would like to put a load cell on a small conveyor.

Thanks so much ,

Yes, the 1756-WS and 1769-WS from hardy is a direct Load Cell controller. I've used the 1756 version with success.

But for the cost, probably easiest to use an external load cell controller with an analog output wired to a standard input module on the PLC.

But for the cost, probably easiest to use an external load cell controller with an analog output wired to a standard input module on the PLC.

To save even the cost of an analog module (if one would need to be added to support this), you could use a load cell controller that has a fieldbus. I am currently using Laumas TLM-8 (AKA Rice Lake SCT40, which re-branded and marked up) which has ethernet/ip, mobus TCP, and other comms options. No issues with them, and having the controller separate from the PLC is preferred by the 3rd party calibration technicians.

To save even the cost of an analog module (if one would need to be added to support this), you could use a load cell controller that has a fieldbus. I am currently using Laumas TLM-8 (AKA Rice Lake SCT40, which re-branded and marked up) which has ethernet/ip, mobus TCP, and other comms options. No issues with them, and having the controller separate from the PLC is preferred by the 3rd party calibration technicians.

Echoing this, Hardy's 6500 is EtherNet/IP. You can buy it with or without the display module.

You guys are ignoring the cost argument.

Have used the Hardy 4050's on Ethernet as well. Hardy instruments are expensive....2K or more. You can buy an OMEGA analog load cell device for a couple hundred bucks.

The cost was also assuming that the system would likely have Analog Inputs available, so need need for an extra module.

You guys are ignoring the cost argument.

Have used the Hardy 4050's on Ethernet as well. Hardy instruments are expensive....2K or more. You can buy an OMEGA analog load cell device for a couple hundred bucks.

The cost was also assuming that the system would likely have Analog Inputs available, so need need for an extra module.

This depends on how much your time is worth and whether the OP is building an in-line weigh scale. The Hardy Instruments gear will do many hours of work for you so you can focus on using the scaled results in your process. There will still be a minimal investment in time learning how to use the scale module features, but far less than if you have to write them yourself from scratch.

This depends on how much your time is worth and whether the OP is building an in-line weigh scale. The Hardy Instruments gear will do many hours of work for you so you can focus on using the scaled results in your process. There will still be a minimal investment in time learning how to use the scale module features, but far less than if you have to write them yourself from scratch.

Agreed if it's a full-blown inline weigh scale. But I took his "add a load cell to a conveyor" as more of a check weigh application. For inline I prefer techweigh or Thayer, but all are solid products.

We use load cells on inline conveyors to measure gross weights, tare weights and piece counting on the fly. for those applications the Hardy 4050 can not be beat. Mettler also make a nice ethernet/IP weigh controller.

There are dozens of ways to skin this cat.

If the OP would describe the application in more detail then any future suggestions would be more helpful.

Good Afternoon ,

Does Rockwell Automation have an Input Card , maybe in the 1734 series , or CompactLogix series that will receive signals from a Loadcell ? I would like to put a load cell on a small conveyor.

Thanks so much ,

Yes, they do but if i were you i would rather use a load cell amplifier/transmitter that will take the input from the load cell in mV and output the signal in standard PLC signals (0-10v or 4-20mA). Much easier option.

Helm makes a unit for PointIO. The part number is HM-1734-WM. It is a two-channel load cell unit and we use it for loss in weight feeding of components. There is also a HM-1734-LCP which is a load cell power module that is required if using both channels of the device. They work well.

Another option is to read the loadcell(millivolt output) directly with a Thermocouple/Millivolt card:
1756-IT6I
1734-IT2I
1794-IT8
You will need to supply the loadcell with the proper voltage though. The nice thing about using a Loadcell Card or Loadcell Controller is that it will usually provide the proper supply voltage.