Download just data(not logic) to AB PLC

12brich

In GE 90 PLCs I know you can upload or download just logic, hardware config or variables. Can this be done with the AB SLC500? I can see a lot of good uses for this feature. It would be nice to be able to modify offline and have someone else inpendently load the program without disturbing the process.

Any ideas?

Wishful thinking

I would have to agree. The ability to download/upload the logic or data files seperately would be great. The fact is you can't. I have worked with AB/Rockwell people for about a year on this and it just can't be done in a SLC. The problem is that the SLC does not have an open memory map like Omron or GE. In the SLC you creat the data table file and type.

I would be very interested and happy if someone is able to make something like this work if is able to get AB to put a fix in place. The closest thing I have been able to come up with is to store the data table files in a logger and then write the data back to the PLC on command.

SOL :(

I'd settle for just being able to export/import the data table values to and from Excel.

A while back, someone gave a tip about cutting and pasting just the data files between two programs. More for keeping up with changing data while making offline program changes, but possibly helpful in this case.

I searched the archives long and hard but could not find the thread. Anyone remember seeing (or, more likely, authoring) this tip?

beerchug

-Eric

Export/Import data is never good enough in realtime. Imagine having the ability to extract the logic from the running PLC and leave to do OFFLINE programming for a week. Make thousands extra rungs and simply download it back a week later without losing a single beat on a production system. Remember, there are lots of data changing during your absense. This is what I am talking about. AB folks, are you listening?

Found it!...

See Post #2 in THIS THREAD for Allen's cut and paste workaround for this problem. Also check out the data table protection stuff... đź““

I think it's the closest you're gonna get to simulating online editing in a SLC... :confused:

beerchug

-Eric

While we are having a grizzle along these lines, I'm peeved that still missing in ControlLogix is the ability to add a new UDT, or edit an existing one, or do a partial download of new files and data.

The Seimens S7 allows this type of function, and although in my opinion the CLX is a better PLC overall, this feature in the S7 is it's best feature by comparison.