Eddy ladder format

V_MAN

Dear all,

I have to start a new project for a customer.

Their PLC programming standard is called "JADDS" it is apparently based on the Ford motor standard called "Eddy".

I am having problems getting any example code.

Please can anybody explain this standard, or even better maybe share some sample code.

Kind Regards.

V MAN.

Wow, interesting... I have not heard either of those two terms used in a conversation in maybe 25 years.

First off, it's EDDI, not Eddy. It's an acronym that stands for Error Dynamic Diagnostic Information and it is not a programming standard per se, it is more of a programming STYLE, an approach to programming and how programs are organized and documented, regardless of the programming tools used. So you can have an EDDI developed PLC ladder program, in theory you could even have an EDDI developed relay logic system.

If it is what I think it is, JAD or JADD is similar, but it relates to project development and management processes, not to the programming itself. JAD is Joint Application Development, the 2nd D is sometimes added for Design. It's a project development methodology introduced by IBM in the 1970s when people in multiple teams need to corroborate on developing a project, often a complex programming project (hence the connection to IBM). Use the right terms and spelling and you may be able to find more info on them, IEEE used to have some white papers on EDDI methods I know.

Good luck though, sorry I can't help more than that.

As this is a Ford thing
Ask for a copy of their standard. Or part there of.
When working for Toyota there was a standard book complete with pretty pictures (diagrams)
Not really useful at the time ( in Japanese)

Automotive Standards

Hi

If I remember correct these were as Follow
Fords = Eddi
Vauxhall / Opel = VIDAS
Jaguar = JADS
BNFL= Minder

These we done for
Allan Bradley Range
Siemens
Modicon (Now Schneider)

It is a standard where the diagnostics program is controlling the machine and is very good but needs some effort to understand. I even train people on these standards.

Let me know how you got on!

If your customer wants to follow a particular standard, they should provide you with a copy of it. I have seen some documentation for EDDI, many years ago, I think it was a 3 or 4 volume document that was over 1000 pages!

welcome to the site Grahame

mate - check the post dates this is from January
your info is handy but might not be needed now

Eddi Standard

Better late than never!
Just thought I can have it here for future reference in case some needs help.

I have even written some of the Allan Bradley versions myself and spent many a year on site working on these standards from UK to Australia.

I know you are right

it is just that we are getting a lot of new members rekindling posts from 8 or more years ago.

I worked for Toyota Australia for 16 years.

Hi Grahame,

Thanks for you response on my issue,getting there now but just for your info.

I've been wading my way over the JLR spec called "DCP".
It is based on Control Logix PLC/ Panelview plus HMI.
Its a complete nightmare,basically you get supplied with some pre-written PLC code and excel spreadsheets that get modified to suit your application.
The PLC/HMI software is written in excel and then generated via macro's.
It only lends itself to applications that follow a repetetive sequences, mine did not.

Anyway, if anybody else is struggling with this standard, I have massed a lot of info and examples.

V MAN