EDS and Studio 5000

ohio_controls

By way of background, I've written an Ethernet/IP driver for one of our products and we're ultimately going to attempt to get it certified by ODVA. The device communicates just fine in Studio 5000, but I can't seem to get the EDS to do anything more than display the input and output data as an array of SINT with no descriptions and the data described as name:I.Data or name:O.Data. I've read through some other posts on this topic, but it's still not clear to me exactly how I'd go about doing this. The underlying data that is communicated back and forth is an array of type INT.

The steps I'm taking are right-clicking Ethernet under I/O Configuration in the Controller Organizer and selecting "New Module"; selecting the device under Catalog and clicking Create; in the New Module dialog naming the module and assigning an IP address; click Ok to ultimately create the module; and then clicking Controller Tags in the Controller Organizer to look at the I/O tags. I recognize that I can click Change in the New Module dialog and select INT instead of SINT, which helps to view the data correctly, but I still can't see Description fields filled in, or name the tags something other than Data.

I know it's possible to go through the aforementioned process and, largely, get what I need if I run through the steps with the EDS found here: ODVA. There the input and output data tags are named and the data types do not default to SINT, but I'll see INT and REAL. Nothing appears in the Description field under Controller Tags, but I think we can live with that if the tags are named. Still, it seems like that would have been a nice feature to include: filling in tag descriptions from information in the EDS.

I'm waiting on a response from ODVA, but Rockwell stated that tech support doesn't get involved with creating and editing vendor EDS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe the ODVA EZ-EDS application helps with this?

It has been a long time since I've tinkered with EDS files. I made one for pylogix for fun, I'll see if I can find it, maybe it will help.

Edit: DM me your email and I'll send you my EDS for you to look at.

Maybe the ODVA EZ-EDS application helps with this?

It has been a long time since I've tinkered with EDS files. I made one for pylogix for fun, I'll see if I can find it, maybe it will help.
Much appreciated, but I've been using EZ-EDS, as it came with our ODVA subscription. No errors and nothing obvious that pops out.

Edit: I also tried an Alicat flow meter EDS found here - ODVA - and ran into the same byte array issue.

Last edited:
I would recommend you to install CoDeSys engineering tool and the Windows PLC. The engineering tool is free of charge and the PLC runs in demo for about an hour. Then it can be restarted and stars the demo mode operation.
The reason why I tell you this is that the engineering tool has very good support for EDS and it may give you a hint as to why you do not see what you expect in Logix. We use CoDeSys to develop EtherNet/IP adapter firmware.
I can also take a look to your EDS file if you PM me.
Good luck.

This post may answer the original question:
You may need "Licensed EDS". This is all that I know about it.

Here is the technote that explains the same and tells you how to get the license:
QA13756

Edit: Publication 1756-PM002 tells you how to get license.

Last edited: