EDS File for PanelView Plus 7

lijochrn

Last edited:
Why do you think you need the EDS file ?

PanelView Plus 7 doesn't use RSLinx Classic, which generally relies on EDS files to identify devices on the network. Nor can it be an I/O device for Studio 5000, which sometimes uses EDS files to create a module profile.

You probably just need an updated or patched version of FactoryTalk Linx, which hard-codes device identity support for upload/download of PanelView Plus terminals.

Why do you think you need the EDS file ?

PanelView Plus 7 doesn't use RSLinx Classic, which generally relies on EDS files to identify devices on the network. Nor can it be an I/O device for Studio 5000, which sometimes uses EDS files to create a module profile.

You probably just need an updated or patched version of FactoryTalk Linx, which hard-codes device identity support for upload/download of PanelView Plus terminals.

I am studying the AB scheme.
I understand from your reply and other FAQ on this website for normal operation of panelview with Controllogix EDS is not required.

My aim was to add the the panelview HMI in IO tree and check the communication status easily like any other Ethernet IP device.
(Even an object named Panelview is there in the catalog but that didnt worked.)

Then when I used the discovery mode Control logix detected the IP of HMI but message came as EDS file not configurable. So wanted to add the EDS file.

Other FAQ said the methods like establishing a watchdog tag between HMI and Contrlologix for the same purpose.

Finally, I used the normal MSG instruction for finding the comm status of HMI
CIP GENERIC

Class = f6
instance = 1 (Single port device)
Attribute = 2

The instruction outputs DN bit when HMI is communicating and ER bit when disconnected.

For some reason the Destination Element Tag is not updating for this Ethernet IP Device(HMI)

Thank you for that detailed explanation !

The I/O tree connection is for a "PanelView Standard", which has been obsolete for many years. You should never put an object, even a placeholder, into the I/O tree with the IP address of your PanelView Plus.

I have used the Global Connections feature of the PanelView to write the /Seconds tag to the PLC to serve as a watchdog, but a message to the Identity object or any other supported object or service will also serve as a way to assure the user that the PanelView is running and communicating.

I generally use the List Identity service, which is the same message that RSLinx Enterprise and FactoryTalk Linx use to browse the PanelView Plus on the network.

Thank you for that detailed explanation !

The I/O tree connection is for a "PanelView Standard", which has been obsolete for many years. You should never put an object, even a placeholder, into the I/O tree with the IP address of your PanelView Plus.

I have used the Global Connections feature of the PanelView to write the /Seconds tag to the PLC to serve as a watchdog, but a message to the Identity object or any other supported object or service will also serve as a way to assure the user that the PanelView is running and communicating.

I generally use the List Identity service, which is the same message that RSLinx Enterprise and FactoryTalk Linx use to browse the PanelView Plus on the network.

Thank you for the info. I will check on the those ideas.