electrical motor will not run -no current - phases & voltage present

Benjie,

Yes, if you are testing motors. What if you are just trying to find why a piece of machinery won't run, or why it trips the breaker?
It could be the motor, or the cable, or both, or something else. I say start at the top with the mostest and work down to the leastest.

I am with Lancie on this one. Test as much as you can in one go, then divide and conquer.

Stu.....

Well it is a disappointing outcome. I got an email back today saying it was a fault with an relay in the starter circuit. I'm sure that when they said they had voltage either between each phase they must have been measuring voltage through the motor as must of not had voltage on one side with the motor fault. I asked them to isolated the motor to do the tests and they said they did - just incompetent... You just can't rely on people telling you what they are finding without being there and seeing for yourself.

Thanks for all you replies and suggestions.

Matt

"You just can't rely on people telling you what they are finding without being there and seeing for yourself".

Yup reason 101 I just love troubleshooting by phone.

Dan Bentler

Forum is a little better. Generally more qualified and if not they say so (mostly?) and listen. The really nice thing about the forum is they cannot interrupt when trying to think and tell you what they think is the problem AFTER THEY CALLED YOU TO FIND IT.

As example "the motor is not running cause of a short" - sort of true - shorts generally become an open or high resistance which are 90 or 99% of electrical problems.

Dan Bentler

I don't think any of us listed, "Incompetence of persons doing tests" as a possibility but I bet a bunch of you thought about it in the back of your minds. This scenario happens a lot. If the testers don't have enough knowledge and experience, then they may not be aware that they don't know enough to run this particular test.

Sometimes we are just too polite.

What is inside soft-starter

I read that the problem is solved.
It is good for everybody who is maintaining soft-starters to know that one of the winding is always feed.
On the other two there is some kind of semi-conductor switches.
If in line there is only fuses before the soft-starter, it is normal that the person had measured 230V between the windings.
I hope that noone is injured
:unsure:

[QUOTE I got an email back today saying it was a fault with an relay in the starter circuit.
Matt[/QUOTE]

Matt didn`t you say there was an identical set up right next to the faulty one end they were swapping soft starters and things in order to dig it on what`s going on?

On your last post you don`t actually say if the machinery is up and running. All this makes me suspicious on weather you`ve been bull...ed by those people again!

...or he is not telling me correct information.
Yes, you did indeed mention that the info could be incorrect. Good call. I did not read closely enough.

That is why doctors like to examine patients in person. Now I read that in the future, doctor examinations will cost too much to be done personally, so it will be done remotely. I predict a lot of sick, upset, wrongly-diagnosed people.