Electrical symbols for drawing

ckchew666

Hi guys,

I'm working on some electrical drawings in AutoCAD. Does anyone knows where can I get the reference of the electrical symbol? I do not know how a pull switch (like AB lifeline) and revolving light electrical symbol should look like. I tried to browse on the web, but no luck....

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Just a thought, isn't most of the AB cad files pertaining to their physical aspects?

I think chew needed to know how to represent a pull-line stop mechanism in an electrical drawing, this I am not sure how to do but know a rotating light is represented with a standard pilot light with the color in the center and an arrow showing rotation.

Ron,

You're correct. I do use AB's online CAD feature extensively, however they are mechanical drawings...not sybolic electrical representations which is what I think the original poster was requesting.

Greg

panic mode said:
if you can't think of symbol, just make a box and be descriptive...

EYE CARUMBA!

One of the the basic things someone who is designing control systems for a living should know is electrical symbols. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I spent many hours in school learning symbols for pressure, flow, knife, pb, selector, foot, thermal etc..... switches. Opens or closes on rising flow or pressure and on and on. These are the tools of the trade.

As far as Cad goes, just draw them once, it doesn't take long. You can make them into blocks if you want but what I do is have about 20 common ones in the corner of the drawing I am working on, use them as I need them, and then erase them when I am done.

The first thing you look at when evaluating a control system from someone else is the drawings. If the drawings are amatureist, the final product probably will be as well.

As far as finding the symbols, open any basic electricity textbook and you will find them.

I agree that with the latest and greatest photonometer there might not be a standard symbol but for most anything else there is.

This was tweaking me...

So I did a little looking, CHEW take a look at this:
http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/3377539/5866177/3378082/3384406/3592141/

10400.jpg

Bob_O: Thanks, but I don't find anything on the pull switch or the revolving light.

AGENTTINFOIL: Will try to download it, what a big file.

rsdoran: Thanks for your info. Great help for me. Thanks for the diagram, so pull switch symbol is like the one shown, a box with contact number 11, 12, 21, 22, 33 & 34.

It gets me at times why people assume that someone knows less or they know more when someone asks a question. It was clear from the beginning that he needed to find symbols for 2 specific items a rotating light:
rotlight.jpg

The other being an AB Lifeline which I have shown above. Of course that is the European method of drawing electrical schematics. As mentioned drawing a box around associated contacts with a reference to look at legend to see what the device is may be used in the U.S.

I have some basic JIC and IEC symbols: http://www.patchn.com/electrical.htm

I will have to do some digging...

ckchew666: I think I know what you are after. I have some symbols that I got from a friend if you would like I can see if I can find them and get them to you... I know there is a symbol for a pull switch in there cause I have used it. If you are interested send me a private message.

Travis

I apologize for ranting and not offering any help to the OP.

rsdoran said:
It gets me at times why people assume that someone knows less or they know more when someone asks a question.

I assume this was directed at me.

The reason for my irk is that I was recently involved in evaluating a new $1.8M machine. I was given the oportunity to review the electrical schematics for this machine. All of the inputs on the schematics were drawn as knife switches with a box around them. All of them drawn as normally open when not all of the were. All of the outputs were circles with descriptions. The first thing this tells me is that the controls guy doesn't have a clue. I see this more and more.

To the OP, I am at home and don't have CAD here, if you wan't I can draw the symbols in cad and post them as blocks here.

Let me know if this will help.

Last edited:
allscott said:
The reason for my irk is that I was recently involved in evaluating a new $1.8M machine. I was given the oportunity to review the electrical schematics for this machine. All of the inputs on the schematics were drawn as knife switches with a box around them.
Sounds like you get what you pay for...;)