elipse scada to rslogix 500 tags

Howdy Everyone,
We have an old machine that uses elipse scada for the hmi, and has a slc 5/05 plc,there was a bit getting stuck on from the hmi, and i finally found it. Below is the bit, it ties to B3:1/7 in the plc, it lines up with the last number in N1, n3, and n4. I have checked this on multiple bits that i know for a fact of what they do and its all the same setup. My question is what is the first three numbers in N1, and what is N2 doing. Different tags in the hmi program have different numbers especially in N2, and is the N1 really start at 1000 instead of 0 for output 1001 instead of 1 for inputs and so on and so on. Thank you for any help. Its only a few older machines most of our machines are either siemens or factory talk. So i don't have much exposure to this one. thank you.

I extracted that screenshot from your DOCX and posted it as a PNG so folks can see it more easily.

I know nothing about Eclipse SCADA software, so I'm going from first principles like you are.

So the question is, what do the Eclipse address fields N1, N2, N3, N4 mean when they're applied to their legacy A-B Ethernet protocol driver?

N1: 1007
N2: 7
N3: 4
N4: 0

How does that equal the SLC-500 binary bit address B3:7/4 ?

Eclipse_Alarms.png

My guess is that the 4th element is for when you use unusual addressing modes like PLC-3 extended addressing.

But I cannot figure out how 1007 decimal = Binary Datatype File 3.

1007 (decimal ) = 0x03EF

But that doesn't make a lot of sense.

The PCCC "data file type" code for a Binary file is 0x85, so that's not it.

The command codes for reading an SLC-500 data table elements are 0x0F 0xA2, so that's not it. For a PLC-5 read-modify-write, it's 0x0F 0x26, so that's not it. I can't figure out how 0x03EF would represent any A-B protocol element describing "File B3".

So maybe it's arbitrary from Eclipse.

Thanks for that update. It seems very likely that you have the basics close to correct.

Classic SLC-500 and PLC-5 "typed data files" have a Data Type letter (I,O,B,C,T,N,F,S,ST,R,MG,BT, etc) that designates the file type (Input, Output, Binary, Counter, Timer, Integer, Floating-Point, Status, etc).

Each Data File also has a Data File Number. The defaults are

Output = 0
Input = 1
Status = 2
Binary = 3
Timer = 4
Counter = 5
Control = 6
Integer = 7
Floating-Point = 8

In fact, every SLC-500 program creates those data files by default. Any numbered 9 or higher you have to create and designate the type.

Everyone who programs A-B recognizes those right away. "N7 ? That's the default 16-bit integer data table".

In your case, B and N files are very similar. They are 16-bit data tables, and you can address them by word (B3:0) and down to the bit level (B3:0.0).

Elipse (sorry I mis-read it above) evidently addresses some of those elements by naming them "N" fields. I am not certain, and may have conflated the Data Table Type and the Data Table Number, above.

N1 = Probably Represents the Data Table File Type in some way
N2 = Data Table Number
N3 = Element Number (Word)
N4 = Sub-Element Number (Bit)

In your example:

N1: 1003
N2: 19
N3: 1
N4: 7

Maybe that's B19:1/7. Does it appear to be ?

Last edited:
Maybe they're just arbitrarily adding "1000" to the Data File number, or to the default data file of that type.

SLC-500 controllers can only have Data File numbers up to 255, with a maximum number of 255 elements each. PLC-5's can have more, and do some clever stuff with boundary-crossing.

1000 = Outputs
1001 = Inputs
1002 = Status
1003 = Binary (default file B3)
1004 = Timers
1005 = Counters
1006 = Control
1007 = Integers (default file N7)
1008 = Floating Point

Again, those are just the default data types and data table file numbers. Any data tables with a number higher than 8, you have to create in your program.

Is there a Data Table File B19 in the SLC-500 program ?

Last edited:
Howdy Ken,
Thanks for the replies, there is a data table file 19, but it is a for integer and has nothing to do with this button. Some of the other ones I have seen scrolling thru the list, have N1 as 1015, N2 as 7, N3 as 14, and N4 as 0. and the bit lines up with N15:14, and I cant find any relation to the 7.

Howdy Ken,
Thanks for the replies, there is a data table file 19, but it is a for integer and has nothing to do with this button. Some of the other ones I have seen scrolling thru the list, have N1 as 1015, N2 as 7, N3 as 14, and N4 as 0. and the bit lines up with N15:14, and I cant find any relation to the 7.

Based on this and the previous example given, it seems like Ken is on the right track in post #5, except that N1 is the Data Table Number (plus 1000 for whatever reason), and N2 is unknown but may have to do with the data type.

Is there any consistency in the number used in N2? For instance is it always 7 when looking at an N file?

If you can't find anything, posting a few more examples might help us see something.

Looks like the very old modbus convention.

A 1000 prefix in the N1 would mean a slave device of some sort and the most significant address of whichever table you are viewing.
N2 would be the type of table (0-8 or
Output = 0
Input = 1
Status = 2
Binary = 3
Timer = 4
Counter = 5
Control = 6
Integer = 7
Floating-Point = 8

The N3 value is the specific bit in a table you are looking at.

For instance, N1:1006 N2:3 N3:6 N4:0 would be B3:6/6.
N1:1001 N2:7 N3:14 N4:0 would be N7:1/14
N1:1012 N2:5 N3:6 N4:0 would be C5:12/6 (disregard the obvious syntax error)

Thank you Sigmadelta for the reply and information and the screen shot. that did help alot. I will keep that in mind if i have to make changes to the program. As of right now they don't plan to update any of the stuff on it, it is an old press that will probably go away in a few years and they have more pressing matters. thank you.