Embedded HSC CompactLogix question

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. I am trying to get an encoder connected to an embedded HSC on a 1769-l24er-qbfc1b. This is how I wired it in but it isn't working at all.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 065235.png

The encoder input signals gotta have something to be referenced to, so if you're using an independent power supply for the encoder you need to connect its DC COM to [CORRECTION] the A-/B-/Z- terminals.

What power supply voltage does this encoder use ? 5, 9, 15, 24, something else ?

I can't find that specific wiring diagram in my quick search; which document is it from ?

Last edited:
I can't find that specific wiring diagram in my quick search; which document is it from ?
Hello, Ken. It is a discontinued encoder from Dynapar, a 525. I found it on the website and there is a plate on the side of it that shows the same thing. I am using 24VDC. You're right, I have no 0V reference for A, B and Z. I will try that in a little bit. Thank you

Would anyone know if this embedded HSC is capable of more than two encoders? The document shows 4 HSC's but I don't know if that means only 2 encoders or 4 counters? Thank you
Screenshot 2023-11-14 080708.png

The encoder input signals gotta have something to be referenced to, so if you're using an independent power supply for the encoder you need to connect its DC COM to [CORRECTION] the A-/B-/Z- terminals.

What power supply voltage does this encoder use ? 5, 9, 15, 24, something else ?

After connecting the 0V reference to the A-, B- and Z- I am able to see that the encoder is changing states however, it isn't seeing the Z from the encoder and it isn't counting. I have tried several different configurations with the manual for this PLC open but am getting no where fast.

For crying out loud!!!!! I forgot to enable the darned encoder!!! Now I have feedback. I still don't have my Z signal but that isn't end of the world stuff.

Btw, the Table 2 does have Function (If Used), so maybe not all encoders have Z?

Yes, that's why I was expecting to see a Z signal however, I guess if were actually there, the PLC would see it. The fact that it doesn't see it tells me maybe this particular encoder doesn't have the Z.....just my guess.

Btw, the Table 2 does have Function (If Used), so maybe not all encoders have Z?

Unfortunately I don't find answers until AFTER I ask questions. Sure enough, I went through the selection guide for the encoder an if the 9th number is a 0 there is NO reference signal. Yup.....mine has a 0 there.