ENBT with 2 ethernet port (for 2 LAN setup)

drbig

Hi There,
I don't have any slot at my CLX to add any ENBT anymore. Is there any available module that can support 2 ethernet ports? I need to connect 2 LAN on my CLX. Please let me know, thanks
Drbig:handball:

Hi

Not that I know of but you could
1: add a extra rack to your system and use the existing Ethernet network to set this up and get then you will have more spare slots for your new Ethernet card and anything else you may want to add

2: the new l8x processors have a built in Ethernet port. It will not be cheap but it's an option

Donnchadh

There are dual port cards but they are for DLR Device Level Ring and even though there are 2 physical ports they are bonded together as 1 logical port with 1 IP Address.

They don't make an ENBT with dual NIC's but I wish they did. I have mentioned it a couple times at RS Tech Ed.

Your only choices are a larger chassis or combine some IO cards like making 2 16 point cards into 1 32 point card and free up a slot or move some I?O to a remote Chassis.

The simple thing would be to install a managed switch and configure VLAN's so the PLC with the single ENBT can talk to both networks.

The best solution to connect two LANs to a single ControlLogix is a Network Address Translation (NAT) device.

Rockwell sells one of their own (9300-ENA), and there are plenty of devices that will provide that sort of routing service on the market.

The best solution to connect two LANs to a single ControlLogix is a Network Address Translation (NAT) device.

Rockwell sells one of their own (9300-ENA), and there are plenty of devices that will provide that sort of routing service on the market.

I would have to disagree that NAT is the best solution. It depends on what kind of networks he is joining and he did not provide us with that detail.

If it's all for factory floor comms and to maintain OEM IP Addresses or put all the equipment on a common subnet then yes NAT is the best solution but if he is tying his PLC to the corporate network then for security reasons a VLAN is better as a VLAN isolates and a NAT simply translates.

DO you have the option of changing the chassis out for a larger one? Assuming it's not already a 17 slot chassis?

I second this solution. This is now our go-to solution for projects using the new CompactLogix L2x and L3x models where you can't have two NICs.

Some of the newer firmwares allow you to make a RSlinx bridge through the processor so you can access devices from the public network that are on the local network but not in the NAT translation table, just like you would with 2 NICs.

I would have to disagree that NAT is the best solution. It depends on what kind of networks he is joining and he did not provide us with that detail.

If it's all for factory floor comms and to maintain OEM IP Addresses or put all the equipment on a common subnet then yes NAT is the best solution but if he is tying his PLC to the corporate network then for security reasons a VLAN is better as a VLAN isolates and a NAT simply translates.

I've never seen an industrial NAT device that didn't include a firewall. Firewalls would be even better isolation than a VLAN, as long as the rules are configured correctly.

In a VLAN, the traffic is passed together from switch to switch, and the network relies on the correct management of every switch to keep that traffic seperate. If you want one device to be part of two different VLANs, this can be very difficult to accomplish depending on the vendor and how the VLANs are defined.

Guys, appreciate your replies..
Yes, Mr. PBuchanan was right, I am connecting to corporate network. My other slot are fully occupied. Here is my replies for the option provided..
1: add a extra rack to your system and use the existing Ethernet network to set this up and get then you will have more spare slots for your new Ethernet card and anything else you may want to add -My current is rack is 13slot-1756-A13, but how can I add new rack? Will I need additional 2 enbt (1 for existing network and one for corporate network) for that?

2: the new l8x processors have a built in Ethernet port. It will not be cheap but it's an option Too expensive!

3. IO rearrangement to space up. Yes, I believe it is possible. May need major change on PLC code due to IO mapping change.

4. Network Address Translation (NAT) Option. Inexperience

5. CompactLogix L2x and L3x Option Too big change!

Hi

: add a extra rack to your system and use the existing Ethernet network to set this up and get then you will have more spare slots for your new Ethernet card and anything else you may want to add -My current is rack is 13slot-1756-A13, but how can I add new rack? Will I need additional 2 enbt (1 for existing network and one for corporate network) for that

Yes you will need two cards , one to connect to local network and one to connect to plant network

Donnchadh

QUOTE=Donnchadh;679619]Hi

: add a extra rack to your system and use the existing Ethernet network to set this up and get then you will have more spare slots for your new Ethernet card and anything else you may want to add -My current is rack is 13slot-1756-A13, but how can I add new rack? Will I need additional 2 enbt (1 for existing network and one for corporate network) for that

Yes you will need two cards , one to connect to local network and one to connect to plant network

Donnchadh[/QUOTE]

Hi Don, (hope you don't mind calling Don)
Means, (please refer url:http://postimg.org/image/su8j2sksn/)
I can access my PLCs (Local LAN) RSlogix program from a computer that sits on Corporate network. Does this new rack (with CPU) needs to have both ENBT bridge or need some special setting?

Hi

No problem with calling me don , I get it a lot.
Yes you will need two Ethernet cards in the second rack.
You will need one to connect your existing local network and the second so you're plant pc can connect to plc.
What do you want to connect to on LAN 2

Thanks

Donnchadh

Hi Don,
I have a server at corporate LAN to monitor the PLC logics..
By the way, for 2nd rack, having CPU is optional right?
I do have another system with 2 enbts' but I can't upload the code from LOCAL setup ENBT. Any reason?
drbig

Upload what code from the ENBT?
I have a crowded rack like that, just added a 4 slot rack, with power supply, and two old ENBT's laying around to handle the transition from corporate to machine network.
No, you do not need a processor in a rack.

I've never seen an industrial NAT device that didn't include a firewall.

Then you have not seen many pure NAT translation devices because most don't have a firewall. The unit that was mentioned the 9300-ENA from Rockwell and even their newest unit the 1783-NATR does not have a firewall and even if you found a NAT translation device with a firewall it would be an SPI firewall which is like putting a $2.00 padlock on a bank vault. It's a joke. Most firewall can do NAT translation so maybe that is what you meant?

Firewalls would be even better isolation than a VLAN, as long as the rules are configured correctly.

Not really it depends on your network architecture. VLAN's are your first line of defense and a firewall is your last for outbound traffic and the inverse of inbound or edge traffic.

In a VLAN, the traffic is passed together from switch to switch, and the network relies on the correct management of every switch to keep that traffic separate.

We manage around 400 switches on this site and have no issues doing so? What's so hard about it?

If you want one device to be part of two different VLANs, this can be very difficult to accomplish depending on the vendor and how the VLANs are defined.

I have to disagree. VLAN tagging and priority is quite simple if you know what you are doing.

Last edited: