Encoder connection to 1746-HSC module

Charly

C
Dear all,
I want to connect optical encoder to 1746-HSCE encoder module with distance to SLC chassis about 50 meters.
Could we get the problem with that distance?
Thank you
Charly

There is nothing inherently wrong with going this far. You just need to be more careful the farther you go.

Noise is one issue. Make sure you use shielded cable and correctly ground the shield drain. The farther you go the lower the maximum frequency you can effectively transmit. If your encoder speed is slow it's no big deal. Higher frequencies are harder to run long distances. Your encoder output driver also has an effect. If the drivers is a TTL level driver (5 VDC) your combination of speed and distance will be less than with an HTL driver (24 VDC).

Your encoder specs should be able to tell you how far and at what frequency you can transmit. The fact that you are connecting to a 1746-HSC as opposed to another device doesn't matter as much.

Keith

HSCE Encoder Cable

For a 8-24vdc powered encoder with a 5v DLD output you can run a Belden 9330 type 22 AWG cable (4 twisted/shielded pairs) the maximum 1000 feet that the 1746-HSCE specifies.

Keith

Your encoder output driver also has an effect. If the drivers is a TTL level driver (5 VDC) your combination of speed and distance will be less than with an HTL driver (24 VDC)

In fact, just the opposite is true. All cables have capacitance. This capacitance must be discharged and recharged each time the encoder output switches. It takes longer to discharge and charge a capacitor to 24 volts than to 5 volts. Check out encoder specs for the max. cable length at a given frequency and you will see a 5 volt signal can go further than a 24 volt signal.