Encoder Wiring Practices

The Plc Kid

I have a situation where the encoder cable to a drive is not long enough.

Is it okay to run this through a terminal block?

Should it be a special type of terminal block?

Will a standard terminal block work until i get something else?

What is the best way to join encoder cables in a control panel?

Almost any kind of terminal block should be fine, but I would shield whatever extra cable I could if you are running close to Variable Speed Drives or other sources of high frequency noise.

I am always amazed at what signals we get away with splitting out of cables sometimes.

Then again, I have seen seemingly simple installations where we have broken into a cable and had all sorts of problems. I'm convinced that a lot of this has to do with the electronics in the end devices and how it expects the grounding and shielding to be laid out.

Bottom line is use common sense with locating the cable run and you may need to extend the shield through the box out the other side.

Hi Guys ... Most encoders terminate on a drive as either a 9 or 15 pin D Plug. Why not insert a section of cable with the male/female plugs made off on the correct ends. If you solder the shield wire to the body of the D plug at all junction points, this ensures proper grounding all the way from the encoder to the drive.