English Grammar 101

Some words, like fag, have multiple meanings. Fag can also mean fatigued, drudge, tired, and more. NOTE: Fag used for cigarette or a homosexual is SLANG.

I know my spelling and grammar will not be 100% accurate at all times because I think much faster than I type.
Than is an adverb or adjective to describe an element.
Then is an adverb to represent time.

Most people will use slang in their speech and writing because some words are accepted. We also used abbreviated terms because many have been accepted for years, example ASAP (as soon as possible). Some of the common ones seen here; IMO, IMHO, LOL, ROFLMAO, these have become commonly used internet terms.

The internet in its infancy was expensive and limited, even when the pricing became reasonable there were limitations on text messaging; therefore a new form of communications evolved. An example is u instead of you.

I would agree that style of communication is not appropriate on a technically oriented forum but like many things it is believed to be accepted because of wide use.

My issue with spelling and grammar is that those that are some of the worse offenders are the ones that state they will not reply because the person was lazy; couldn't it be classified as lazy if you do not take the time to review your post(s)/replies?

There is a saying from the Bible; “He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her.”
That could easily be revised; replace "without sin" for "without errors", or insert your own terms to fit the application.

It should also be noted that the rules do not state anything about "perfect" grammar or spelling but rule number 1 does state;
1. Please, no advertising, name calling, rude behavior, foul language, or disrespectful posts
http://www.plcs.net/rules.htm

rsdoran said:
We also used abbreviated terms because many have been accepted for years, example ASAP (as soon as possible). Some of the common ones seen here; IMO, IMHO, LOL, ROFLMAO, these have become commonly used internet terms.

Ron,

You forgot one of the most used on this forum...

RTFM!

Paul

An englishman in the USA could get paranoid over the annialation of the english language but now that I have lived over five years amomgst it all I tend to just find the useage a source of perpetual amusement.

Perhaps members could check out this site of english slang words, very funny, have a look at "fanny" for instance, I was instantly in tears of laughter after hearing that one out of context.

http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/a.htm

I have found I can communicate in the USA with only three words

"Awesome" "Really" "Good"

I am constantly asked "You have an accent!" Never! who would have believed it after being born and living most of my life in the UK?

There are many amusing tales to tell but I will share one so as not to go on at to much length.

I mailed a letter to the UK (BTW UK, Great Britain, England, seem to confuse all here) it was returned by the USPS with a note on it "no such state in the USA "UK" " DUH!!! :)

I can't quite get through with some emails where one always type "Please advise" and some who will type "Please advice". It's the word 'Advice' and 'Advise' got me into confusion.:confused:
Ohhh...and I find it really hard to decipher "SMS-text". I never text people in those short terms. Really gives me the headache when I tried to read the messages my nieces and nephews sent.o_O

regards
Sherine T.

Sherine

Many words in English have similar spellings, but differ in their parts of speech. 'Advise' and 'advice' are one such pair, 'devise' and 'device' are another close example.

If the spelling is with an 's' the word is generally a verb e.g. "I advise you to switch that off.", "He was advised that his application had failed."

If the spelling is with a 'c' the word is generally a noun e.g. "I would like to give you some advice.", "The advice about wiring regulations was completely wrong."

As with most things in the English language, I emphasise the use of the word 'generally' - there are always exceptions to the noun-c verb-s rule.

Regards

Ken

jolio ST said:
Ohhh...and I find it really hard to decipher "SMS-text". I never text people in those short terms. Really gives me the headache when I tried to read the messages my nieces and nephews sent.
regards
Sherine T.

That hits my hot button. While I make all effort to try to understand those who don't speak/write English as a native language, I ignore any post that uses SMS. It's too difficult to interpret and takes too much time.

Time is of essence, and it isn't worth spending my time to help those who are too lazy to use conventional spelling.

Dan

grs said:
Their, there, they're,

The Best Man at my wedding recently remarried, having found his 2nd wife through an internet dating service.

His profile included the absolute necessity that the responder know the proper useage of the three terms above (there, their & they're).

The only response he got was the woman he married.

They're happily married with their 8 combined children over there somewhere in Iowa.

Or is it
There happily married with they're 8 combined children over their somewhere in Iowa. ? ?

Dan

I too constantly get jibes about my 'accent' (I'm also an Englishman living in the States for the last 5 years). But by far my biggest pet peev is the fact that few Americans can distinguish between English and Austrailian accents.

As for language, well let's just say "American English" is very different from "English English" in both it's spelling and use, and I'll leave it at that.

Mart B

As an Englishman in the USA I know I can say a sentence of ten words and I know that maybe the first two will be heard but after that no chance because the thing that everyone asks is "you have an accent"
I guarantee that I will have to repeat myself and a lot slower, it becomes very tedious and annoying, its as if I'm talking to a load of brain dead people.
BTW my standard reply to "you have an accent" is " I don't have an accent Americans have accents"

My personal interpretation of it all is..

People look but don't see

People hear but don't listen

I refuse to speak psuedo-english for anyone!!

Ken Roach said:
My pet peeve is the miss-spelling of the word "lose", meaning to fail to maintain possession of something. I find it often miss-spelled "loose", especially when referring to communication links between computers and controllers. Aaargh !
This reminds me of a fellow who I used to work with. He had "Born to Loose" tattooed on his arm. I never did ask if it was supposed to be "Born too loose" or "Born to lose".

RussB said:
This reminds me of a fellow who I used to work with. He had "Born to Loose" tattooed on his arm. I never did ask if it was supposed to be "Born too loose" or "Born to lose".

I certainly hope it's "Born Too Loose". :ROFLMAO:

Ken
What I find funny is that both email ends with the same question "Please advice/advise". Both are meant to ask me for suggestions.

In any case, English, as well as many other languages, have their own way of confusions; and mistakes made are common anywhere. How one person interprets it, another may interpret it in another manner.

regards
Sherine T.

MartB said:
I too constantly get jibes about my 'accent' (I'm also an Englishman living in the States for the last 5 years). But by far my biggest pet peev is the fact that few Americans can distinguish between English and Austrailian accents.

As for language, well let's just say "American English" is very different from "English English" in both it's spelling and use, and I'll leave it at that.

Mart B

I have all but lost the accent..After a long conversation people will ask if i am from australia..to which i reply..no..thats where we sent all the hooligans!!!! :) (Just kidding!!)

The only other time it gets a little more noticeable is after a couple of bevvies...

Someone should tell Microsoft..there is no such thing as American english..You either speak American or you speak English..They might sound the same but can be totally different..

BTW..I just ran this post with spell check...It picked up i didnt spell American with a capital A but not English??..Hmmmm