Ethernet I/P Air Manifold (suggestions)

Adam303

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi guys, I'm looking to interface a air manifold with a compactlogix (1769-L35E) thru Ethernet, can anyone recommend a manifold that can communicate with the L35E CPU. I need the manifold to handle around 20 valves.
Thanks

Numatics has some valves. Look at the G3 blocks under the fieldbus selection.

Hello Adam

Festo does some very good valve manifolds with ETH I/P.

Festo CPX terminals are very flexible and can be configured to suit all your needs.

http://www.festo-cpx.com/index_us-en.php

If it your first time configuring a CPX terminal I would recommend contacting Festo or your local dealer to get some assistance.

fryman

Hey guys thanks for the recommendation, I decided to go with the CPX terminal from festo with the MPA-S valve terminal. Festo also has a free configuration software and EDS file, so this should work out without a hassle.
Thanks Again

I actually recommend against the Festo. I have an L35E running a couple Festo banks and have not been pleased with the reliability. The configuration software is NOT free.

@Damian, can you specify some of the issues you are having? The software that I have is CPX Festo Maintenance Tool.

I've used Numatics and Festo both and hands down Numatics has been more reliable in my experience. Not to mention easier for me to get parts for here in Texas.

Is Festo made in the USA? I can get numatic parts a lot easier.

I haven't used Festo so I can't compare them.

@Damian, can you specify some of the issues you are having? The software that I have is CPX Festo Maintenance Tool.

Hi Adam,

In general, we have had quite a few instances where the manifold would go into a fault and need to be reset by cycling power. Many instances where ethernet comms would lock up. It is very sensitive to power quality.

Not helping the cause, out local support for Festo is not of a technical nature. They are not very savy about controls or fieldbus. They sell it more like a commodity.

Last year this time that piece of software "Maintenance Tool" was not free. It looks as though now you can download it for free.

Other things not related to reliability:

1) Festo's part numbering scheme is horrendous. I had some pre-existing manifolds that needed expanding (both inputs and valve blocks). Our distrubutor couldn't help me sort that out. I ended up having to figure out all the parts myself and put it together myself. Anything involving an assemlby takes like 6 weeks or so.

2) Their addressing scheme is such that if you expand your IO you have to remap all your valve IO.

3) Very difficult to get parts if not stocked in US. They only ship from Germany I think once a week or once every two weeks, so if you order the day after the shipment you are waiting another week or two. They also don't seem to keep adequate stock of anything.

4) Documentation is rough. The typical Engdeutch common with the German products.

5) Extremely tedious to find/get things off their website.

If you do end up going the festo route, feel free to contact me. I can get you up to speed quickly on the setup and the addressing.

Between Festo and Numatics, Numatics is the hands down winner.

I have used both. Numatics is a higher quality product and VERY reliable.

I realize Festo is less expensive, talking reliability/quality.

RSL