Exor Uni-op Hmi

Goody

Do any of you have any experience comments about the above HMI.

It is connected to a Mitsubishi FX2N plc.

I have to alter some PLC code and HMI functions.

I dont know the model No of the Uni-op HMI but it is a small monochrome touch display.

Can I program the PLC through the HMI in transparent mode?
What software and leads do I need for the HMI?

Thankyou for your help :)

Goody said:
Do any of you have any experience comments about the above HMI.

It is connected to a Mitsubishi FX2N plc.

I have to alter some PLC code and HMI functions.

I dont know the model No of the Uni-op HMI but it is a small monochrome touch display.

Can I program the PLC through the HMI in transparent mode?
What software and leads do I need for the HMI?

Thankyou for your help :)

I think it wil be an ERT16 or something

http://www.hiflex.nl/

(It is a Dutch site)

http://www.exor-rd.com/bin/site/templates/splash.asp?NC=6649X

You need Designer to program the EXOR display. You can program them via an RS232 connection. (Don't know the pin layout off the cable because the display has an 15 pin connection)

To download you first need to set the display to configuration mode. I believe that the menu pops when you press the middle of the screen for some seconds. (Or one of the corners, I can't remember).

Larger EXOR displays have buttons next to it. When there is an "enter" button, then press this button for more then a couple of seconds.

In the menu select config (if possible, the programmer can block out functions with passwords. When you have the originel project file then you can see the passwords in the project. (Nice he!)

WARNING: The desniger program has had a lot of updates. We had some problems with bitmaps on buttons which were deformed when opening/downloading the project in a newer version.

We had lot's of technical problems with the displays. (Going dark for no apparent reason. Touch grid shifted (touching one place results in action on different location on screen). Thats why we stopt using this type of display.

This is about all I can remember, (Transparent mode never used it)

Good luck

Last edited:
I've used a lot of EXOR HMIs (http://www.exor-rd.com/) with good success. The software is fairly intutitive and capable, and the quality of hardware is generally good. We have had problems with backlight burnout, and this requires factory service.

We have moved to the C-More because the service from EXOR fell off and pricing was not as competitive as formerly. However, they are still a good value.

And I don't believe you can program the PLC through the HMI ports.

I don't know Monitouch.

I like the C-More better than AVG. Price is a little higher for the C-More, but I feel the quality is a little better on the C-More. I went with the C-More mostly because I know I get good support with AutomationDirect.com, and although AVG is still something of an unknown, I didn't get great responses when I called them.

The C-More software is slightly better than the AVG, although they are very similar. The C-More tag base editor seems a little more capable.

I recall the EXOR site had numerous cable configurations with pintouts for those who want to make your own. The drawback to making your own is that the EXOR connector was the DB-15 connector (like video output on a PC). Not as common as the DB-9.

I seem to recall that its serial port did full duplex RS-485, rather than half duplex, but memory could be foggy (it was 2 years ago)

Sorry, I don't have a URL for the cable pinouts, but I'm not at a work PC. (already started a long-weekend holiday)

Dan

danw said:
I recall the EXOR site had numerous cable configurations with pintouts for those who want to make your own. The drawback to making your own is that the EXOR connector was the DB-15 connector (like video output on a PC). Not as common as the DB-9.

I rolled my own with a DB9 on one end and a DB15 on the other. I've used the same cable with every EXOR/UniOp model I've run into with success. I've also used the same software for each of these.

Simple consistency is one benefit of EXOR/UniOp...

They do have drawbacks though. In paticular, the ECT-16 seems vunerable to back light problems (easy fix... very hard part to track down unless you're buying in bulk) and memory management using the 16 bit software sucks... Being way under the tag/pages limit and having the touchscreen hardlock sends up red flags in my book.

The monochrome models have performed flawlessly though, with one connected to a Mitsubishit FX2n 64 point model. I'm not sure what you mean by transparent, but if I remember correctly, the HMI uses a small area of the PLC's memory for status info, and for everything else the actual memory locations are refrenced.

Thank you all :)
The supplier link was useful and they have a base just a few miles away from me.
I can get the cable and software for £155 - so that is cheap.

Nice to know the software is intuitive too.

For those that are not sure what 'transparent mode' means - it means that you can plug into the hmi and program both the hmi and the plc online without having to disconnect either.

I am lucky in that I am the person that spec's the hardware so I nearly always use Mitsubishi PLC's and Beijers HMI's. Running both softwares (HMI PLC) and programming online on a running process is a boon.

Making changes to the HMI doesn't require physically disconnecting since the programming port and PLC port are seperate, but it does require going offline from the PLC into a configuration mode for upload/download.