EZ Automation Problem

RICK G.

Hello everyone,
i have 3 lines that run on a ez-t6c-fs-plc. All programs are the same. I have 1 line that runs for awhile and then shuts off.it will run for hours, sometime days, with no problem. When i go to upload the program to my computer, all of my ladder logic is gone.(no lines of ladder. All i have to do, is cycle the incoming power, and everything comes back.
I have changed batteries many times, i have even changed the entire unit. Still does it. I do not lose any touch screen objects, just the ladder logic.
In my alarm data base, i put in "plc error" (discrete)
this comes up many times, and it clears itself (goes on and off)for exactly 3 seconds.
Does anyone know how i can trap this problem and correct what ever this is?
Any and all advice would be appreciated!!

Okay, you're part way there. You also need an internal tag on the HMI side to store the PLC Error Code Value (it's configured just above the one for the PLC Error bit). The Discrete lets you know there is a problem. The word will help track it down.

From the manual:
Error Code Value (word)
Tag for internal location that the panel writes values to indicating which PLC errors have occurred in the unit. The values are in decimal only. Convert them to Hex to find the PLC Error Code Value. PLC Error messages are listed in the Appendix A, PLC Error Messages, and in the programming software help under the PLC Help topic, Driver Errors.

PLC Error (Discrete)
Tag for internal location where the panel sets a bit to indicate that a PLC error has occurred. Under the PLC to Panel tab, you will enter the following attributes: Under this Project Attributes tab, you will enter a tag to an internal panel location. These locations can be written to by the PLC.

okay, you're part way there. You also need an internal tag on the hmi side to store the plc error code value (it's configured just above the one for the plc error bit). The discrete lets you know there is a problem. The word will help track it down.

From the manual:
error code value (word)
tag for internal location that the panel writes values to indicating which plc errors have occurred in the unit. The values are in decimal only. convert them to hex to find the plc error code value. Plc error messages are listed in the appendix a, plc error messages, and in the programming software help under the plc help topic, driver errors.

plc error (discrete)
tag for internal location where the panel sets a bit to indicate that a plc error has occurred. Under the plc to panel tab, you will enter the following attributes: Under this project attributes tab, you will enter a tag to an internal panel location. These locations can be written to by the plc.
thanks jordan for the quick reply.
I forgot to mention, that error code word is in the alarm data base also. I put it in at the same time.
I never see anything that resembles a decimal. I do get a message that says:"value out of range". I will check the manual, and try to figure out whats going on.
Again, thank you!!
Rick g. (might be asking for help again)

Jordan,
just 1 line. I got a error code value of "2" not sure what it means. Any ideas.
Rick

Okay, looking back through the manual, I have two possibilities. Unfortunately the documentation lacks in picking up driver errors from EZTouch to EZPLC. But, gleaning through all the other driver error lists. I get:

1) A timeout error. Losing comms between screen and PLC.
2) Limit of elements per screen exceeded. This is where there are too many objects an the screen at one time.

I have my doubts on the second one-- unless the screen is crowded, and even then I tend to believe it would be a more constant thing.

The PLC timeout, though. Well, I've got issues with that as well. Every one that I've had would actually say 'PLC timeout', not just toss a number into the alarm table. Also the distance between PLC and Screen is very short. On the flip side, if the PLC is depending on some value from the screen and it's no longer there, that could conceivably lead to a shutdown.

The PLC should also have an event log that you can look at as well. That may give us another piece of the puzzle.

Okay, looking back through the manual, I have two possibilities. Unfortunately the documentation lacks in picking up driver errors from EZTouch to EZPLC. But, gleaning through all the other driver error lists. I get:

1) A timeout error. Losing comms between screen and PLC.
2) Limit of elements per screen exceeded. This is where there are too many objects an the screen at one time.

I have my doubts on the second one-- unless the screen is crowded, and even then I tend to believe it would be a more constant thing.

The PLC timeout, though. Well, I've got issues with that as well. Every one that I've had would actually say 'PLC timeout', not just toss a number into the alarm table. Also the distance between PLC and Screen is very short. On the flip side, if the PLC is depending on some value from the screen and it's no longer there, that could conceivably lead to a shutdown.

The PLC should also have an event log that you can look at as well. That may give us another piece of the puzzle.
Jordan,
I have very little, as far as screen objects. I looked at the event log, and found nothing, but when the PLC was started. I don't know if this will do any good, but I raised the polling time from 250msec to 500msec. Am I just shooting in the dark with this??
Does this EZ plc have a way of recording events, like a Histogram in Allen-Bradley and saving it to a file?

Rick

There is a DAQ package available for something like $99. I know their SE panels will let you log to a USB stick as built-in functionality. Don't know if that's translated over to the TouchPLCs or not.

Have you talked to tech support on this yet? 1-877-774-3279, if you need a number.

As much as I hate to say it, I've pretty well run out of ideas, short of stopping over and just watching the line run. Which my wife will absolutely not allow...:rolleyes: There may be other things at play here, like power noise, or something dragging the power down, or something just a bit different in the software than the other two lines.

There is a DAQ package available for something like $99. I know their SE panels will let you log to a USB stick as built-in functionality. Don't know if that's translated over to the TouchPLCs or not.

Have you talked to tech support on this yet? 1-877-774-3279, if you need a number.

As much as I hate to say it, I've pretty well run out of ideas, short of stopping over and just watching the line run. Which my wife will absolutely not allow...:rolleyes: There may be other things at play here, like power noise, or something dragging the power down, or something just a bit different in the software than the other two lines.
Yes I have talked to tech support, many times. I even sent them a copy of the program, that I'm running on that line so they could run a simulation on it. They came up with nothing.
Again,Thank you for all your help. You will be the first one to know if I ever get this problem solved.

Rick

Yes I have talked to tech support, many times. I even sent them a copy of the program, that I'm running on that line so they could run a simulation on it. They came up with nothing.
Again,Thank you for all your help. You will be the first one to know if I ever get this problem solved.

Rick

Hi Rick,

In EZPLCs, there is an error detection register that is internal to the PLC map. That register is SR9

can you please use some kind of numeric display and map that register value to it and reply with that value to my post ?

In general, the value will correspond to one of those errors:

Error Number Reported in SR9
(PLC stops executing ladder logic error detected)
Error Number Description
0 No error
1 Invalid User Program
2 No Label for Jump
3 Invalid Move data range
4 System Error
5 Either FOR without NEXT, or NEXT without FOR

Thanks