Factory Talk Parameter Expression Help

LSPort

I am after some help with animation expressions using the parameter setup in ME.
I am using ME 8.0 in conjunction with SLC 5/04
I have made a screen which basically uses the step number of an integer file in this case N13:6 which has been used by the original programmer as sequence block.
The sequence advances in blocks of 10, so my display screen animates a flow across a screen making a active step number green and inactive step red..
I have done this for a development screen using expression in the animation tab which is similar to this {::[shortcut1]N13:6} ==0
And this works, as i have several blower status screens to do i tried to replace the {::[shortcut1]N13:6} with #1 in the parameter section of the explore view

I have created a single parameter file with 3 parameters
#1={::[shortcut1]N13:6}
#2={::[shortcut1]N13:7}
#3={::[shortcut1]N13:8}

My idea being if i duplicated the original display 3 times and used find and replace tools i could save time repeating keystrokes

In the 3 goto display buttons i have declared the single paramater file, but doing a display test the only display that works is the directly addressed display.

The other return the message:
Expression contains a tag that has an error value.

I am hoping that i have some kind of syntax issue that you can help with with.

so you click a blower then a popup opens with a parameter file. you need to replace {topic}n13:6 with #1 if using a parameter file and if you have more tags to replace then use #2,#3 etc in tag. so you have 3 parameter files under parameter file corresponding to 3 different blowers called by go to button and their specified parameter file.

My idea being if i duplicated the original display 3 times and used find and replace tools i could save time repeating keystrokes

In the 3 goto display buttons i have declared the single paramater file, but doing a display test the only display that works is the directly addressed display.

The idea is to only have one display, the buttons that call it supply 3 separate parameter files - in your case with just one declaration in each, N13:6 for Blower1, N13:7 for Blower2, etc..... The called display substitutes parameters as per the parameter file.

Take a look at the sample project InstantFizz_ME which should have been installed with the software... See how they have done the displays for the 3 Tanks on the "2 Blending" display.

EDIT : You might want to add a second parameter to each file - the Blower Number, to use in the display title, for instance....

EDIT : apologies to mike_dr : that's where he was going, didn't read it completely before jumping in...

Last edited:
Thanks to both daba & mike_dr for taking the time to reply.
I took your advice and had a look at Instant Fizz, I was getting the wrong end of the stick with the parameter files.
I now have single screens accessing multiple parameter files that is much easier than what i was trying to achieve.
I found integrating parameter text into id labels for screen objects to be a different situation altogether.
I would have embedded a string ST file from SLC into the expression but i cant see me being able to take the processor down to alter file properties.
so i have had to almost double handle the label by creating memory tags in the tag editor with the text as the initial value, then declaring the TAG in my parameter file.
It works but doesn't seem the best way.
I guess the string declaration is a lot easier in Logix processors.
Thanks again.. :)

I found integrating parameter text into id labels for screen objects to be a different situation altogether.
I would have embedded a string ST file from SLC into the expression but i cant see me being able to take the processor down to alter file properties.
so i have had to almost double handle the label by creating memory tags in the tag editor with the text as the initial value, then declaring the TAG in my parameter file.
It works but doesn't seem the best way.
I guess the string declaration is a lot easier in Logix processors.
Thanks again.. :)

That's the way to do it. You cannot use string literals (plain text) in the parameter files. You have to create/use string memory tags; just like you did.

FYI: you can use just the HMI tag folder name in your parameters
Ex. #4 = BlowerFolder1
Then on your screen you would use this: #4\StringLabelTagName

If you setup all the tags you need under that HMI folder, then you can just duplicate it for each blower. Makes tag creation easier and your parameter files a lot more simple (just one parameter).