Factorytalk getting tags without communicating to plc

rtragle

In Rockwell Factorytalk is there a way to import/add tags without being connected to the PLC? Also, the PLC program isn't written yet, so I'm also asking if there's a way to add tags that do not exist yet.

Thanks,
Ryan

I expect that you're talking about FactoryTalk View, and the way that it integrates with ControlLogix tags.

FactoryTalk View can browse both online and offline ControlLogix tags.

To browse online, you must have RSLinx Enterprise configured to point a Shortcut to the controller, and of course the controller has to be running and loaded with a program.

To browse offline, you must still have RSLinx Enterprise configured to point a Shortcut to the controller, but the controller doesn't need to be connected to the network.
Instead, RSLinx Enterprise points to the *.ACD file and browses the tags that have been created inside that project file.

If a tag does't exist in the controller or in the project file, you can type in the tagname by hand wherever you choose to use it in FactoryTalk View.

As a quick note, after configuring RSLinx Enterprise in FactoryTalk View Studio you may need to close and re-open FT View and/or Studio 5000 and/or reboot your computer in order to have the tags appear properly. Come to think of it, if you're seeing any weird behavior in FT View try rebooting your computer. Rockwell is fun!