FactoryTalk ME log in tracking

dcam

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am having issues at my plant with people logging into a simple recycled water system and putting valves and pumps in hand causing problems.

What is the best way in ME to capture who logged in and when. I'm thinking of somehow linking specific users to bits with a RTC and storing log in info. Is this a thing? Is there a better way? I love this site! Thank you in advance!

PURPLE_MECH_FILL_small.jpg

Janner_10- The complexity of issues associated with the misuse of a system is not something I'm asking about. The question was about advanced security options for FactoryTalk ME. If you asked a question in a plumbing forum about a issue you were having and I chimed in coaching you on changing peoples dietary habits would you think that was a pertinent point...........dont take offense, just think about it.

I am having issues at my plant with people logging into a simple recycled water system and putting valves and pumps in hand causing problems.

What is the best way in ME to capture who logged in and when. I'm thinking of somehow linking specific users to bits with a RTC and storing log in info. Is this a thing? Is there a better way? I love this site! Thank you in advance!

Hey, PVP is CFR21 part 11 compliant:https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/wp/ftalk-wp016_-en-p.pdf

To configure the PanelView Plus 6/7 terminal, from the
ME Station home screen, navigate to Terminal Settings
> Diagnostics Setup. Select Remote Log and click Edit.
Address is the IP address of the computer configured to
accept messages from Windows CE devices, and Port is
the communication port configured on the same server.
The default is 4445.
Rockwell Automation Knowledgebase article 58977 can
be referenced for step-by-step instructions.

This guide above has a lot of logging options. Some require HMI modification, based on your requirement, you might not need to do any of that.

Note: This does require Assetcentre server to be available to the PVP. The PLCs.net article mentioned above is unfortunately for recording data changes, not sure if it does logon tracking...

Last edited:
I've used the auditing and it is fairly basic but should get you the info you want. I think it's a fairly recent feature (like v10 or v11) and they also added a .CSV export feature - that works fairly well, you can have it export daily and then if you enable the FTP server you can copy the logs off and review them remotely if you want to. We used WinSCP as a FTP tool...can be automated using command line script if needed.

Janner_10- The complexity of issues associated with the misuse of a system is not something I'm asking about. The question was about advanced security options for FactoryTalk ME. If you asked a question in a plumbing forum about a issue you were having and I chimed in coaching you on changing peoples dietary habits would you think that was a pertinent point...........dont take offense, just think about it.

Yeah, what do I know about it anyway.

Well said. Always one that has to be a smart arse 🙄

Well said. Always one that has to be a smart arse 🙄

I wasn’t being a smart arse. It was a genuine question.

Someone has gone to great efforts to write the logic for Auto control and someone isn’t using it.

The op knows they aren’t using it, the operator knows they aren’t using it and it is causing problems.

Playing devil’s advocate, I’m sure logging who is doing it and then go charging down to the shop floor for a ding-dong would put an end to it.

I was mearly hinting if the op had thought about asking why they keep doing it.

You can have the best logic in the world, but get the operators on-side and you suddenly have a much easier time of it.

I wasn’t being a smart arse. It was a genuine question.

Someone has gone to great efforts to write the logic for Auto control and someone isn’t using it.

The op knows they aren’t using it, the operator knows they aren’t using it and it is causing problems.

Playing devil’s advocate, I’m sure logging who is doing it and then go charging down to the shop floor for a ding-dong would put an end to it.

I was mearly hinting if the op had thought about asking why they keep doing it.

You can have the best logic in the world, but get the operators on-side and you suddenly have a much easier time of it.

Great points. In addition, unless you have passwords for each user, auditing won't do a thing. If they can't follow directions, that probably means they know other passwords, something very common in plants. Passwords usually last a few days, then everyone knows them. If you don't want operators running in manual, then prevent that... must be a higher role.

I created and wrote the program/HMI. Its very simple. One subroutine for tank level (ran off a vega radar lvl sensor. One subroutine for the Pump (PFlex525) control. All components pictured have a HOA pop up associated with them. This plant runs 24 hours a day and one of the supervisors I had to give the password to is being obtuse and does not understand how it works. I cant fix him. I just want proof.......don't mean to offend, I love this site.