FactoryTalk View - Accessing PLC I/O Directly

bise2016

I am trying to access the I/O of a AB CompactLogix PLC within FactoryTalk View using the format such as "Local:1:I.Data.0" instead of using an alias tag like "photoeye1." When using a MicroLogix, I can access the I/O bits directly similarly to "I:0.0/2" and the value works correctly in FTV. When I try to use the local tag from a CompactLogix; however, I get an error about the tag not being found.

I have setup the CompactLogix in the Communication Setup (shortcut name as "bench_plc") and am able to correctly get to the I/O with "{[bench_plc]PE_1}" but not when using "{[bench_plc]Local:1:I.Data.0}"

Is it possible to access I/O bits directly on a CompactLogix similarly to how it's done with a MicroLogix or am I required to use alias tags?

Try the syntax

{::[bench_plc]Local:1:I.Data.0}"

I recommend using alias or logic-assigned tags for all HMI functions, but you should be able to address local I/O directly by using the double-colon "escaping" syntax.