FactoryTalk View Communication setup with 1769-L33ER

Cydog

Good Evening ,

I'm sorry , but it has been almost a year that I did a FactoryTalk View HMI application , and I can't believe that I forgot how to setup the communication with a 1769-L33ER processor. I have FactoryTalk View Version 10. I have a live and online L33ER, I'm trying to see the tags .

Has anything changed ? I thought you just went into Communication Setup / Add a Shortcut / Drill down to the ethernet driver and IP Address / Copy from Design to Runtime.

I know something changed , but I forget.

Any thoughts ? Thanks so much for your help.

Nothing has really changed. RSLinx Enterprise was renamed to FactoryTalk Linx. But functionally none of the comms setup has changed. After creating your shortcut, In the Tag Browser window right-click on the top most folder and select Refresh All. It will update with any changes that have been made.

You should be able to drill down to see your controller shortcut and then click Online to browse the online PLC tags.

OG

Last edited:
FactroyTalk Explorer(Application) > FactoryTalk Linx (at the bottom of all the options)> Communication Setup > Runtime(Target)
Pick the PLC you want to talk to.

Last edited:
Nothing has really changed. RSLinx Enterprise was renamed to FactoryTalk Linx. But functionally none of the comms setup has changed. After creating your shortcut, In the Tag Browser window right-click on the top most folder and select Refresh All. It will update with any changes that have been made.

You should be able to drill down to see your controller shortcut and then click Online to browse the online PLC tags.

OG

I always get the shortcut up right, but every. single. time. It takes me a minute to do the refresh all to see the tags.

Did you check your communication settings.
I had similar issues, it took forever to update the tag. After restart the PC, every works great.

Oh no, it's more I forget that I have to select the refresh all! It's a d'oh moment more than anything.

I'll keep your tip in mind though when tag updating takes a while.

...It takes me a minute to do the refresh all to see the tags.

Interesting. I usually see it update immediately. But I'm typically on small and simple systems. Perhaps if you have a large number of tags in the PLC or complex UDT structures I could see that maybe taking longer. If it was always slow to update I would probably define the offline tag file and just browse offline instead.

OG

Interesting. I usually see it update immediately. But I'm typically on small and simple systems. Perhaps if you have a large number of tags in the PLC or complex UDT structures I could see that maybe taking longer. If it was always slow to update I would probably define the offline tag file and just browse offline instead.

OG

I meant I forgot to hit the refresh all button.

When I first started though, I had a slow laptop that would take about 30 seconds to update the tags.

The laptop I have now is much much faster