FactoryTalk View reusing screens

MLoweNH

I have a FactoryTalk View ME program that has about 20 screens. The connections are linked to the plc program via the 'shortcut' method. I now have a project that has a different plc program but most of the screens are very similar.
I copied the original program and expected that when I changed the "shortcut" to my new plc program the tags would update, but they do not. They retain the reference to the original shortcut name.

Does anyone know how I can change all the tags to the new shortcut besides relinking each one individually?

In hindsight I should have just called my shortcut "my_plc" instead of the project name and then I could just change the reference and I suppose that's still an option - have a shortcut name that doesn't match my project name.

Thanks for any help.

Use the application manager to make a backup of your application, then restore the same application with another name and there you can change your shortcuts and that's all.

Keep the original shorcut name and just point it to the new controller. You need to do the same task on design tab and runtime tab.

In most PanelView projects I've created, the shortcut name is always "PLC" unless I'm reference multiple shortcuts in one project. Then the shortcut names get a bit more descriptive, but not so limiting that I can't easily transfer the project to another system without major changes. Then all you have to is change the PLC that shortcut is pointed at. Beyond that, I know of no way to replace all of the shortcuts project-wide in one shot. You'll have to do what CLXlifestyle recommends.

Thanks all. What a quick response!

For today, I added an additional shortcut with "my_plc" to link any changed tags to and kept the original shortcut only changed the plc program. Both have my new plc program pointed to. I will do the mass replace as suggested when I have time and delete the original shortcut.

I have learned my lesson with the shortcut names.

XML export/import

Backup your project, just in case.
Export all of the displays to xml.
Open all of the xml files in Notepad++
Search and replace all open files (Note: use the whole name such as "[my_plc]")
Import the XML files back in.

That is more steps, but much faster than using the FTView search & replace.