FactoryTalk view site edition

Robb B

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone, having some problems with site edition and FactoryTalk Directory Configuration wizard. I moved the application (the .sed file, the FactoryTalk software was redownloaded and installed fresh from Rockwell) from an old PC to a new one due to hardware related blue screen of death (loose ram chips, fixed now). Now when I try to run FactoryTalk view studio site edition (local application) I get an error about FactoryTalk Directory Configuration wizard needing to run to configure the directory. When I try to run that, I get an error 0x8004205b "unable to backup existing LocalReconfigure Directory to file folder c:\programdata\rockwell\rnaserver\backups\localreconfigure1276.bak" the last 4 digits change each time I run the wizard so I think it's just a randomizer for the file name. I even tried making the whole director of Rockwell not ready only.

The error code comes up with a suggestion to run the resdir batch file which I did, to no effect.

I've tried using the HMI backup and restore utility, no change either. I've also tried repairing the FactoryTalk services platform.

Any suggestions? I'm leaning towards a corrupted file somewhere, but I don't know where.

Hopefully the original machine is still available to you.

So first, never just move the files from one PC to another. A project is like an application on your PC. You wouldn't go to the Microsoft Office folder and copy the files from there to another PC and expect it to work. It has to be installed. FactoryTalk applications have to be registered with the FactoryTalk Directory for them to work.

You mentioned the HMI Backup and Restore. Unfortunately that is a horrible little tool that doesn't actually backup the entire application, just the HMI portion. Can you tell us what version of FactoryTalk View you are using? In newer versions there is a tool called the FactoryTalk View SE Application Manager. This tool can perform an entire application Backup. You would then take the one file it created to your new PC where you run the same utility to Restore the application.

I don't recall exactly what version added this tool but it makes a world of difference.

OG

I'm using version 11.00, and yes I have the original computer (everything works fine on it now). I didn't "just copy files", I used a program called PCTrans to move the account settings, database files, etc. FactoryTalk got installed from Rockwell download. I will try the application manager right now. I'm pretty sure the problem is the FactoryTalk Directory manager. If I choose a network configuration it works (lets me enter administrator user and password) but if I choose a local directory, it crashes.

When I start the application manager on the new PC, it crashes if I choose local.

You mentioned the HMI Backup and Restore. Unfortunately that is a horrible little tool that doesn't actually backup the entire application, just the HMI portion. Can you tell us what version of FactoryTalk View you are using? In newer versions there is a tool called the FactoryTalk View SE Application Manager. This tool can perform an entire application Backup. You would then take the one file it created to your new PC where you run the same utility to Restore the application.

I don't recall exactly what version added this tool but it makes a world of difference.

OG

If not the HMI backup and restore what tool is best to use on the older versions when you need to backup the entire application or move it to another PC?

If not the HMI backup and restore what tool is best to use on the older versions when you need to backup the entire application or move it to another PC?

In earlier versions there was a tool called Application Manager. That tool covered both ME and SE applications. But, for SE applications it could only backup Local applications. But it could back them up completely. For Network type applications you had to do several separate steps to backup your application. The HMI Backup and Restore tool could be used to backup the HMI portion of the application. If your application had multiple HMI servers then you had to do a separate backup (and restore) for each. It was very ugly trying to get a Network application moved from one PC to another because that tool didn't backup the FactoryTalk Directory (users, passwords), or the Data Server (RSLinx, FT Link). So each of those had to be backed up and restored separately.

The new tool is the SE Application Manager. It is specific to SE (there is also a new one for ME) and can perform a complete backup of Local and Network type applications. I wish they had made that a standalone tool that you could download from RA so you could use it with older systems. But I don't see it available standalone.

OG

Last edited:
I'm using version 11.00, and yes I have the original computer (everything works fine on it now). I didn't "just copy files", I used a program called PCTrans to move the account settings, database files, etc. FactoryTalk got installed from Rockwell download. I will try the application manager right now. I'm pretty sure the problem is the FactoryTalk Directory manager. If I choose a network configuration it works (lets me enter administrator user and password) but if I choose a local directory, it crashes.

When I start the application manager on the new PC, it crashes if I choose local.

OK first, PCTrans is just copying files. It is definitely much more capable than a simple file copy. The FactoryTalk Directory registers every computer and application it touches. Even if you make a bit-by-bit copy from one PC to another, it is still a different, unrecognized computer that you have moved everything to. Even cloning (or imaging) still requires us to re-run the Directory Configuration Wizard.

Ok, but lets put that aside. It does sound like the install is corrupt. So I would do a repair on the FactoryTalk Services Platform.

Rockwell has a Tech Note describing this error and they suggest a repair too. They walk you through how to do it. It does require a TechConnect contract to be able to access the Tech Note. Here is the link.

But in case you don't have a Tech Connect contract, here is a quick overview of how to do a repair. I'll describe for Windows 10.

1. Click on the Windows start button and in the search field type "remove" without the quotes.
  2. Look for Add or remove programs and select it
  3. Scroll to FactoryTalk Services Platform and click on it to select it
  4. Select Modify
  5. Click Next and then select Repair
  6. Select Next then Install. Be aware that it may ask for the installation files. So make sure you have those available.
  7. Let it finish repairing and when it is done reboot the PC.

Hopefully after doing this you will be able to rerun the Directory Configuration tool and select Local and Network successfully.

OG

Have tried reinstalling site edition, running silentFTDCW.exe, no changes. The configuration wizard still crashes if I try to configure the local version, but not if I choose network version.

Techconnect as a last resort?

If the repair I suggested doesn't work, then there is another possible solution but it is more drastic. Reinstalling doesn't always work because it doesn't always remove all components before reinstalling. During the reinstall, it might see a component is already installed and skip it. That's why I suggested a repair.

I think I would try upgrading the FactoryTalk Services Platform. The Directory Configuration Tool is part of that platform. Here is a link to where you can download a newer version. You will need to have an account on RA's site to access it. It's free to register, no Tech Connect needed.

https://compatibility.rockwellautom...areSelections.aspx?dlpop=1&id=61602&crumb=113

The drastic solution I mentioned really requires Tech Connect and it erases a lot of stuff in the process.

OG

6.31 is already installed, and I have tried removing it and reinstalling it twice. I noticed on the old PC that it was ver 6.11, so I will try installing that.

Installing 6.11 results in the directory configuration window taking longer to come up with the same error. The application manager at least loads a window instead of exiting, but just shows the circling grey icon and is "not responding". Stumped. Supplier can't seem to figure out that I want to add techconnect support, not purchase the while software package... It's almost a full moon and feels like a Monday.