Factorytalk View Studio - Numeric display

mjackson

Hi, can anyone help me?
I am new to Factorytalk, but I have used other SCADA before.
All I want to do is have setpoints on the panel which change values in the PLC. I can see "Numeric input enable" which appears to be a button allowing input of a tag, and "Numeric display" to display a tag. However there does not seem to be one object to do both which every other system I have used can do. The numeric input enable does not display the value only allow input and the numeric display is only display not input. Do I really have to put one of each on the screen for every setpoint I need?
The problem with this (apart from it taking twice as long as one object that can do both) is that there is a delay of about 2s between entering the amended value and the change appearing, which looks really bad. There must be a better way of doing it.
Thanks.

You can do it with the numeric display. Simply go to the Label tab and in the caption window click "Insert Variable" and then add the tag you are changing. Then your button will allow you to change the tag and the label will have that tag in it and will display what you changed.

When you are done with your label it will look something like this:

POSITION
/*N:7 {[PLC]Servo_Position} NOFILL DP:3*/mm

You can add more descriptions around the tag. In my above example I have what it is, the position, and the units at the end. I do not believe you can manually enter the tag in. You have to click insert variable and give the amount of decimal places and such.

You can also use the Numeric Input Cursor Point. I assume you are using FTView ME.
The name makes no sense, but it is basically the Display + Input objects together.

As for the slow tag update, are you using HMI tags?
If yes, then the update time will be 2x the display update rate.
Ex. display update rate is default 1 second. It takes about 2x that number for the round trip of entering a value to the PLC and reading it back.

Change the tag to a Direct Reference to avoid that 2x delay.
And if needed make the display update rate faster (to 0.500 seconds).

You can also use the Numeric Input Cursor Point. I assume you are using FTView ME.
The name makes no sense, but it is basically the Display + Input objects together.

As for the slow tag update, are you using HMI tags?
If yes, then the update time will be 2x the display update rate.
Ex. display update rate is default 1 second. It takes about 2x that number for the round trip of entering a value to the PLC and reading it back.

Change the tag to a Direct Reference to avoid that 2x delay.
And if needed make the display update rate faster (to 0.500 seconds).

I feel this is a common mistake for new developers in ME/SE....I made the same mistake myself on the first project having migrated from Wonderware and RSView32. In SE, you really should not be creating tags unless you need to tag them as alarms. Use the direct drill down Online/Offline and point to the memory item itself within the processor.