FactoryTalk View Studio offline tag file

dginbuffalo

Wow-must be losing it! It seems when i write some logic in my RS5000 PLC program, the tags aren't ready available in FT View studio offline file for awhile. Even if i refresh folders, they seem to appear when they "want" to??? Even a tag that i renamed still appears with the old name- WTH is that all about?

Reboot you machine or there maybe a service that you could reboot but I don't know.

rdrast - our local FTSE #1 Supporter and guru maybe able to shed some light on this.

Yes-rebooting the machine did the trick. I could see having to save the program and then refresh the FT Studio, but restarting the machine bites!!! Thx for the reality check!

Reboot you machine or there maybe a service that you could reboot but I don't know.

rdrast - our local FTSE #1 Supporter and guru maybe able to shed some light on this.

Unfortunately, the reboot is the proper solution. I don't know why, but simply refreshing the folders does not actually update the PLC File tags properly.

FTView Studio DOES actually open the PLC File, it DOES actually read through it, and then it DOES actually ignore most of it. It will pick up some random tags at times.

This problem has grown worse and worse as FTView is "Updated".

For what it's worth, I find that I much prefer editing (even creating) my FTView tags in Excel, and then just importing them into FTView Studio.

Browsing the Online tags works most of the time after a refresh, if you have the program loaded into a PLC and it is online, but for large programs, refreshing the FTView Studio Folders can take anywhere from 1 to 5 cups of coffee.

Another trick that usually works, is to pick a similar tag, and then manually modify the address. Note: This only works if you are not using Direct Reference Tags, which for many multitude of reasons, I absolutely NEVER use. I always go through the Tag Dictionary.