Failed to show rs who?

joelolson

When trying to open system coms or rs who I get an error that says: Failed to show rs who: Cant access file: C:\Program files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\Harmony.rsh

This also happens in rs linx.

Note: I have been using RSLogix on this computer for about 4 months with no issues.

I have tried going into services and restarting Harmony with no success.

Any Ideas?

There was a Windozer update that broke RSLinx on my partner's laptop. He is running Windows 10 Pro. We fixed it by removing certain windows updates that occured on Jan 3, 2018 and then paused the updates. I will hunt down some links ...

Microsoft security updates KB4056892, KB4056890, KB4056891, KB4056895, KB4056896, KB4056888, KB4056898, or KB4054517 broke a whole bunch of Rockwell Software stuff. On my partner's machine, only two updates listed above were installed, and it was KB4056891 that we removed to fix his this morning.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1071234

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-a-windows-update-from-reinstalling-in-windo

Last edited:
Check the Product Compatibility Center for your version of RSLinx.

After installing Microsoft security updates KB4056892, KB4056890, KB4056891, KB4056895, KB4056896, KB4056888, KB4056898, or KB4054517 anomalous behavior has been observed with FactoryTalk based products.

Also do this:

Go to Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Services
Double click the Harmony service

Note: If there is no Harmony service, run the repair on RSLinx Classic application from the Windows Control Panel. If there is Harmony service, it will most likely be disabled. Double-click and set it to Manual. Then click Apply --> OK --> Close. Verify if this has solved the issue if not continue.

In the General tab, verify the Path to executable:

32-bit OS:
C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\RSOBSERV.EXE

64-bit OS:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\RSOBSERV.EXE

Check the directory listed above to make sure that RSOBSERV.EXE is located at that file location. It is also possible that RSOBSERV.EXE might be in another directory if RSLinx Classic software was installed to a non-default location. If RSOBSERV.EXE is not in this directory, search your local drive for this executable.

Go to Start --> Run
Type regedit and click OK
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Harmony
Click on the Harmony folder. On the right-hand side ImagePath should have:

32-bit OS:
"C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\RSOBSERV.EXE"

64-bit OS:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\RSOBSERV.EXE"

If this path is not correct, right-click on it and select Modify. Verify if this has solved the issue if not continue.

Deleting the Harmony files can be attempted to resolve the issue as well.
Close all software including RSLinx Classic. If RSLinx is running as a service, switch to run as an application. (You can look this up elsewhere)
Open Windows Explorer and go to
For 32 bit Systems, C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon
For 64 bit Systems, C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSCommon
Delete Harmony.hrc and Harmony.rsh (you may have Harmony instead of Harmony.rsh). Do not delete HRMYUI.DLL
If you cannot delete the Harmony files, stop the Harmony service at Start-->Control Panel -->Administrative tools --> Services or reboot your computer
If you have a Windows 64 bit system you may only have 1 harmony file.
Change it back to run as a service if you wish, and restart the computer if necessary.

You will lose all RSLinx cached paths so be ready for that.

$