Fast switching between dynamic and static IP for PLC programming?

Peter, if you are not talking about login issues thru windows then monkeyhead offered the solution. You can goto control panel then Network Connections and access properties for Local Area Network (or whatever yours is named). It offers Alternate Configuration which can be used to connect to a system when a DHCP server is not present. At this time I can connect to my home workgroup, DSL, cable, and wireless (school). I have never thought about needing a batch file...but I am prejudicial against all DOS commands.

Another alternative is get a fixed IP LAN address from IT to use with any plc's on the plant floor. I have looked at security issues but the odds of someone being able to actually connect (thru a corporate firewall) to a plc from the net (without permission and more) has to be astronomical.

One other thing I have learned is when someone develops a prejudice they will have problems involving what they are prejudicial too. In other words if you dislike MS and their OS then you will not learn the system therefore will have issues.

When it comes to using another OS, Linux, BeOS, etc there are several factors involved that many people are not interested in dealing with. First is the fact it just recently has been developed with an automatic install and a possibly a GUI, it still requires more of a learning curve than Windows. The second issue is the fact that the development of associated software is limited and underdeveloped. I could state more but....

Basically there is no way to compare another OS to a Windows OS because NONE of them, for the average user, implement the demands placed on a Windows OS. All software and hardware when first developed has issues....this includes PLC PROGRAMS...it takes "development time" after release to fix those issues. This is no different than stating "I can write a perfect PLC program sitting at my desk, I have no reason to go into the plant or field to test it." What would you say to anyone that made that comment?