Fasteners in steel with powder actuated gun

Thats it Ron, Thanks!

Dan, You need to stop the drap as soon as it starts threading and reverse it back out. It's not a drill press operation, unless you have a break on the drill press. You'd probably be able to use a good 1/2" drill motor. We use 5/16 bolts to fasten the door track to the header, (1/4" thick header material), with a 14 volt Dewalt battery operated drill motor. I strongly supect that 3/8" w/1/2" material will work fine with a quality drill motor.

Pricey yes, but time is money. Usually more then the tools. Just be carefull; their easy to break.

Another quick thought.....

Buy some 3/8" all thread, cut some studs from it, weld them to your 1/2" frame on the marked holes from your flange, set the whole thing down over the studs and nut it. No drilling and tapping.

Good Luck,
Jeff

I had to mount a chiller one time up on a 20' platform.
what we did was set the chillers then set angle iron along the side of the chiller, and bloted them to the chiller. then welded the angle the the I-beams worked real nice and quick.

Thanx guys,

Am considering all options. I think I will end up choosing what to do after I get the chiller onto the foundation - which is 12' high. Right now I got challenges enough getting the rigging to do it with a forklift. YES I dearly wish we had a crane.
Havent bought forklift yet, the one we will be using is the one proposed to us. I think this lift is going to justify my selection criteria for a 20' forklift. Dont want to pick from bottom can just see folding the sheet metal. Next unit will be spec'd to have fork pockets in bottom - I hope I hope.

Of course this is a big rush political thing. No forklift on hand, no rigging gear on hand and they want it done by Wed. Talk about flying by the seat of your pants.

However rest assured if I dont have the right setup I am NOT lifting it -- the boss can if he wants. In either case my rule applies no one within 20 feet while that thing is moving or not resting on something SECURELY. I can fix broke machinery but I am a lousy surgeon and not good on broke people.

Dan

Dan

Dan

Dan why not rent a crane/boom when you are ready to lift it. I dont know all the details but I dont care for using forklifts in a boom/crane type application. In many cases a boom lift is small enough to manuever in a plant, can be stationary during lifting but offer manueverability for positioning. A "standard" forklift with fully extended mast gets "hairy" when trying to position something, this may not be what you are refering to but just thought I would mention it.

Something similar to this is what I am refering too.
http://www.1stliftcompany.com/TH844cforweb.jpg
You can get them with forks, crane or other type attachments.

Dan why not rent a crane/boom when you are ready to lift it. I dont know all the details but I dont care for using forklifts in a boom/crane type application. In many cases a boom lift is small enough to manuever in a plant, can be stationary during lifting but offer manueverability for positioning. A "standard" forklift with fully extended mast gets "hairy" when trying to position something, this may not be what you are refering to but just thought I would mention it.

RON
COmpletely agree. I am trying to do with a forklift what we often do with a cresent wrench. I know this can get real shaky up high and with load out on forks. That is why I will generate a load chart so I know what I can safely handle in what configuration.

What was bugging me is I have NO rigging gear, politics wanted the job done in short time frame and I did not like the rush factor. Basically we are setting up shop and have not filled out the tool box.

Boss gave me option of jobbing out to machinery move contractor we know and trust - I snapped them up.

Am also looking into an A frame that may meeet our needs and reduce / eliminate using forklift as crane. Might be tough to move around and we are gong to lose time but I am not the idiot that selected a building with no crane.

Dan

Dan,

To merge a couple of ideas presented, would it be possible to construct a secondary base on the ground with fork truck slots. Bolt it onto the bottom flange of the chiller. Then lift it by fork truck roughly into place, prybar or jack it into alignment and weld it down. If it ever needs to be removed the chiller can be unbolted from the secondary base. Bingo!

Good Luck
Brian.

oops, I suppose you have the verticle alignment fixed already, oh well next time maybe..

Last edited:
Brian,
Great idea
BUT
As designed there are pipes that connect to the chiller from equipment below it. They will not hear of changing the pipe lengths at this stage of the game.

FUTURE
I will ask for a design change that will have this built in. Should simplify the rigging problems.

Thanks for the idea

Dan

FIRST thanks to all for input.
2ND Got the chillers mounted. Had contractor do it. Kinda looked foward to seeing them use a forklift. Unfortunatley they brought in small 8 ton crane (Drott?). Took 1.5 hour - absolutely amazing what you can do when you have the right tools. Am thinking about proposing one.

Got bid for A frame - about 8K for 19' span (clear span 16) and 15 high. Thinking of going for 24 feet.

Dan