Poly Panels vs Stainless Steel Panel vs Carbon Steel

conradstone

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am involved in a huge project where we will place 30 to 50 panels on top of the roof of a building in SC. We wanted Stainless Steel, but we are trying to keep our cost down. Schneider Electric makes a nice-looking panel. I would appreciate any insights. Merry Christmas and happy New Year.

I presume you mean the Schneider Electric Thalassa PLM Series. If so have used them for years with no issues.

Schneider Electric Thalassa PLM Series those are the ones. I have just never used them and I was wondering what direct weather exposure would do to them. Thanks for quick answer!

Yes I agree I have used them (and similar) outside, I know we installed many, one has been outside for about 15 years & still looks in pristine condition.

The only caution is that eventually fiberglass panels will weather from exposure to sunlight and the glass fibers will begin to erupt. This will take a few years, and if you can live with that then FRP is a reasonable choice.

Not sure what you're putting into the panels, but stainless and especially FRP isn't as thermally conductive as steel. So whatever is inside, won't loose heat through convection as easily. Something to be aware of if you've devices inside that generate heat.

Will these panels see a large temperature swing? Other than sun damage I've witnessed a few of these that are exposed to temperature swings to lose form. However it takes a fair bit of time for that to happen.

Hello everyone, I am now back in the USA. These Panels will be mounted outside Upstate SC. Panels there now some are 40 years old or older. It is at the very top of plant 40 to 60 meters above ground. I believe the Stainless Steel will be used for our 460 vac and FBR for our 24vdc. We have had FlexIO mounted in similar panels for 20 or so years. Dust and weather are the main culprits we need to address.