Fed Up With Allen Bradley and Rockwell

For what it is worth, I have 5, 500, and 5000 installed on my laptop running Windows 7. I know that it isn't supposed to work, but it is actually very reliable. I crashed my last computer and when I bought this one I thought I would try it. Everything works fine and I get the new Win 7 stuff. I have found one older version of 5000 that will not work but that isn't a problem with me. I will agree the activation process has become a nightmare. I have just ordered a copy of all new software and a "dongle". I am going to keep the activations on it so that if I happen the crash another computer it won't be a big deal getting back going. Anyone had any bad experiences using the AB Dongle?

The dongle doesn't store anything on it. It isn't a flash drive. It just provides an ID which the activations need to see to work. The .lic files still reside on the computer. LIC files can be backed up like any other normal file.

The dongle doesn't store anything on it. It isn't a flash drive. It just provides an ID which the activations need to see to work. The .lic files still reside on the computer. LIC files can be backed up like any other normal file.

x2!! It really is that easy, always surprises me how many people have problems with activations. Don't get me wrong when you're away from the internet and have to go through the steps to get it activated.... But in the office environment, it's pretty simple.

There are a SERVER and CLIENT versions of the Factory Talk Activation software. Depending on what you are doing, you need one or the other. Just simply "loading the software" might not work, there are OPTIONS.

Pretty sure Rockwell tech support has an option for activation issues when you call in.

The USB dongle is simply a UNIQUE piece of hardware (The .LIC file is tied to this). Because it is USB you can easily transfer this hardware to another computer. As mentioned, you still need the .LIC file to be installed on ANY computer you wish to use as the .LIC file is tied to the hardware.

Usually you tie the .LIC file to a NIC card or hard drive of your computer, but since those aren't swappable to another computer the .LIC ends up being tied to a single computer. The USB hardware key solves this.

Here's the thing about Rockwell's stuff. It either works poorly or excellently. The only way to get Rockwell software to work well and as intended is to put it all on a dedicated Rockwell-only machine with NO OTHER SOFTWARE installed on it other than basic operating system stuff. Of all the problems I've ever had with Rockwell software it's been conflict with other software programs nearly 99% of the time. Rockwell software--especially the SCADA stuff--does not play well with others. In fact, the latest SCADA stuff will barely work if you have their old stuff installed on the same machine. Right now I.m transitioning from RSView 32 to FactoryTalk View SE, and I literally cannot have the same two progams installed on the same machine. If I do, neither one will work well enough to be productive.

So, yeah, that's really the only solution I've ever seen. If you want to use Rockwell software but don't let it completely monopolize your PC, you're gonna have a bad time.

You are incorrect. I have both RSView32 and FTView SE on the same computer. No problems. You can't RUN them at the same time, but they both can be intalled. You will probably need to reboot between using one and then the other. Or use the terminate utility to stop the services, then the other will run.

I've always had good luck with Rockwell software. I use only one computer for programming (a wide range of Rockwell products) and all my other day-to-day computing needs (CAD, email, word applications, etc.). Rockwell products as a whole are no more buggy than any other software product (Windows or otherwise).

I had RSView32 and FT View both installed on my PC for years. I've built many many computer images that had both. Had an issue years ago with the Tag Import/Export Wizard in FT View, but there was an easy workaround and it was fixed long ago.

I had a rather advanced activation problem last week that was solved quickly though the online chat feature at the RA site.

OG

My experience has been the exact opposite; I put everything on my laptop and I don't run anything in separate environments and have had no issues.

Completely agree!

I've had Rockwell PLC5/500/5000, Panelbuilder 32, RSView 32, RSView ME/SE, Wonderware InTouch, GE Proficy, Microsoft Office, VPN software...standard IT software all without a problem. Although I have gotten into virtual machines and use those when I can.

The ONLY exception is when RSLinx hoards your serial port, it's the only time I've ever had problems. Just have to remember to shutdown that driver and you're set.

The ONLY exception is when RSLinx hoards your serial port, it's the only time I've ever had problems. Just have to remember to shutdown that driver and you're set.

That's the nature of serial ports. I'll be glad when they go the way of the floppy disk.

And on a related topic: Rockwell has finally released a new CompactLogix with NO serial port, only USB and Ehternet. Connicting via the USB was a snap.

I always thought the older RS500 was so easy to use and solid, I feel like I am cheating when using it.

The new licensing is insane and rife with stoppage as the default condition is NO.

But if think the OP AB experience is bad, I had to use windows 7 64 bit with Step 7 v5.4

Yeah.

Then WinnCC

And all of this 3 weeks of pain while being hounded by a project with a 3 month start delay while being held to the original ship date.

Oh yeah and of course we were being abused by several in house custom softwares that we made to help save time and money. All of which required several weeks more to use than the available item on the market.

Just because some guy CAN make an HMI in VB^ doesn't mean it will be better , faster or cheaper than just using an available HMI software.

And those spiffy code generators that everyone is in love with these days.............

If you want to push a button and generate thousands of line of functional code, make sure the damned thing works before you push it out to 20 programmers and require them to fight it, I mean benefit from it.

And ALL this while fighting Step7 and Win 7 64 bit.

Once I had all the bugs worked out so I could get started, the spec changes, I re-write, then the spec changes again.

Then the deadline looms.

Then it is all a super big deal...............

Late nights, weekends, .................then the whole project is put on hold as if it never mattered.

There is never enough insanity in management.

The challenge is to remain silent until one more payday passes.

Then try to keep doing that.