Fed Up With Allen Bradley and Rockwell

And lastly.... There are a handful of Rockwell Automation employees, including Technical Support team members, who read this forum regularly.

And frankly, I'm not going to help pop back up an A-B bashing thread by posting in it (yes, I realize I'm doing that now).

Even if I had a simple and fast answer to your problem, I wouldn't post it in this thread !

Sometimes it helps to complain. Sometimes it helps before the troubleshooting effort, and sometimes after.

Where it seldom helps is during the troubleshooting effort, and that's what posting in this thread does.

Open a new thread, and please be open to the possibility that the solution to your problem is operating system and network related, though probably not isolated from the RSI products.

My first guess is that it's related to the Checkdrives environment variable, but no way am I going to discuss that here on the tenth page of a years-old bashing thread.

Well said Ken, I couldn't agree more.
We used AB products for 15 years. Great local and remote support and excellent product reliability.
Changed to OMRON 5 years ago. Primary reasons were much higher performance and capabilities [particularily in their smaller PLC's CP1 and CJ's] as well as reduced cost [we are a small OEM]. Also excellent support.
In my opinion RSLogix was at that time by far the most superior/easiest/intuitive programming package. Others are catching up, OMRON CX-One is very close.

Bashing any model or manufacturer on this [or any] forum is counter productive. Maybe there should be a separate "BASHING" forum that both you and I can completely ignore.

If you don't like the product, don't buy it, don't use it, choose something else.
If you don't want to pay for development software or product support then find a manufacturer who doesn't charge.

Stop whining, a manufacturer will sooner or later get the message when their sales figures start dropping.:rolleyes:

We are using XP. As of today we have the problem narrowed down. When RSView tries to open the OPC server at another site, it locks. When that connection is removed, all is good. I am about as Rockwell illiterate as they come so I don't even know all the terminology to the software. This is the first time I've ever worked on it, when I was called in to fix it. Sorry if my posts are vague but its because I literally know nothing about the software. I just happened to stumble onto this forum while googling for any advice that might help. I appreciate the time all of you have spent trying to help.

1)
2) In my experience many other vendors are worse - and particularly Siemens. There software isn't as quirky, but it is a lot more difficult to use.

Yes and no. For a SIMPLE project, a few standard I/O with simple ladder logic, Siemens is as easy as anyone else IMHO. But if you want to kick it up a notch and do something that's not an obvious menu choice in step7 then the learning curve is astronomical. You can ultimately do more than with other PLCs but you have to know VASTLY much more in order to get there.

It seems like everything in Siemens has 10,000 options. MOSTLY, on a simple project, you can run with defaults and you'll be okay. Scratch the suface though, get away from the defaults, and you can't just know a LITTLE about it... You have to know EVERYTHING about it or you'll get into trouble. Guaranteed.

Totally different than other vendors like GE where you can start out simple and the GRADUALLY build up your knowledge as you need to.

I agree, Allen Bradley does have some complexity installing the software, and like any software, there are bugs that develope with all the different possible configurations. Especially with the anti-virus programs. However, as software goes, they are not that bad with bugs. And they are very good at tech support with working out the problems. I have never been to the point where I was not able to get the system working with some support from their tech people. I have done minimal work with Siemens and GE, however, their systems are not any better and their programming (especially siemens) is much much more complex....

My turn to rant now. Bought the RS logix 5000 software installed a lovely compactlogix system Works a treat. Spoke to routeco our AB rep about another project told him the specs etc. Bought another compact logix and a devicenet scanner (the scanner cost £400) - NO - now I need to buy RSNETWORX for devicenet at £885 to configure the devicenet module. So the software is more than twice the price of the hardware. Going to set the module up and prob never use the software again. Very angry as the rep never metioned this so it was never in the budget.
Last time we will be using AB stuff - Omron gave us a quote for the same equipment with software which was cheaper than the contrologix PLC and scanner.
Can't return the scanner & PLC back as they will give us 10% of the purchase price and then they say they have to send it back to the factory before accepting the return and this will cost 80% of the purchase price so we end up buying Omron and throwing the scanner in the bin and using the compactlogix for a simple job that wouldn't need such a powerful PLC. Pure economics and bad service backups has turned our whole company against rockwell. So now it is siemens, mitsubishi Omron etc.
The software is nice and powerful but then so are the rest.

Here is a start...

Is it just me or is anyone else completely fed up with all this nonsense???

I paid good money recently for RSLogix500, RSLogix5000 and FactoryTalk ME for a project I needed to do. I am not new to this game either. I have been programming various PLCs since 1979.

I have now spent more time installing, activating, reinstalling, debugging and troubleshooting the Rockwell software than I have spend on the actual programming. As a systems integrator, my time is worth money. I get paid on a per-project basis so the more time I waste on this, the less money I make.

I was able to get 500 and 5000 going after spending hours and hours. Now I installed FactoryTalk ME and it won't run. Everytime I start it, it says "Microsoft has encountered a problem and needs to close this application". I re-installed it but the same problem. NOW, the 5000 won't run either. The splash screen comes up and that's as far as it goes. I have re-installed that as well, but no change.

I can't believe that more people don't speak up about this poor product quality. Would you put up with a car that was riddled with bugs and just shut down from time to time? Would you fly in an airplane that worked this poorly?

If that isn't bad enough, they want to charge me MONEY just so they will answer the phone to help fix the problems that they created. I don't get it.

Anyway, that is my rant for today. I have to cancel my site visit today for this project and I will spend the entire day trying to fix this.[/q

I know the way to solve most of your software issues.
If you are using your own laptop

Install xp Pro ...But I repeat do not update past service pack2
most of the software issues you are experiencing is most likely do to service pack and .net platform configurations.
at least it has been for me.. give this a try.

Firstly may I state I am not trying to 'bash' any manufacturer!!! I use equipment from most industrial automation manufactureres - some stuff is good - some stuff is really bad!!!
I have been totally frustrated with industrial automation software for years except for the Omron offering - CX-One.
One package does everything - reasonably priced - updates on the web are painless but are not quick - set up the auto update and go on with your work.
They appear to be always ahead of the game with respect to Microsoft operating systems also. The software was Vista compatable just months after Vista came out. The software was Windows 7 x 32 bit compatable within 2 months after Windows 7 came out. Others took years - yes years - for Vista compliance!!!!
When you close down a program within the CX-One suite it closes down - nothing is left running - serial and USB ports are immediately available to other applications.
I am aware that 'manual' activation of services stops the nonsense with other brands of software but I cannot be bothered - the software should behave!!!!
Omron CX-One is now the only automation software I run within the operating system. Every other brand now goes into either Virtual Box or Windows 7 XP mode Virtual Machine. Omron CX-One runs happily in Windows 7 x 32 bit - behaves itself and causes no problems and of course shuts everything down when the respective suite program is closed.
The others all shut down when I close the Virtual Box OS.
I still fail to understand why ANY software cannot operate in XP Pro when SP3 is installed. Someone writing the software need their butts kicked quite frankly!!!
My laptop now runs Windows 7 x 32 bit exclusively with Virtual Box and XP Mode Virtual Machine for all software apart from Omron.
My desktop machine now runs Windows 7 x 64 bit with Virtual Box or XP Mode Virtual Machine as required.
My desktop machine does not have to communicate with PLCs. Windows 7 x 64 bit has installed every piece of software I have thrown at it in 32 bit mode automatically. I have absolutely no problems, at this stage, with any software other than the latest revision of my CAD software. The older version runs fine.
I have not tried to install any industrial software in the 64 bit OS other than Omron. It runs well but did pop up a message during installation that a 64 bit driver was required - I ignored the pop up as I do not wish to use the PC to communicate with PLCs. I suspect it may be the USB PLC driver but did not really take much notice.
As a matter of interest I use the Omron USB/RS232 converter - it just works with everything - no ifs or buts. It is actually an FTDICHIP device and they have drivers for the device on their website for Vista 64 and Windows 7 64 as well as Apple and Linux. Pretty comprehensive and there are not many manufacturers that offer that type of service and support.
For anyone anywhere I would recommend their USB/RS232 converter - they are available in many countries.
www.ftdichip.com look for your local sales office.

I know this is an old thread , but I was looking for help with Rockwell activations. I have worked with Allen Bradley ( Rockwell ) for almost 24 years and this is the most disappointed I have ever been in Rockwell Automation. I am planning on remodeling an area in the office for a technical / training library. I purchased the Rockwell RS Trainer bundle for RSLogix 5000 . I am having the most difficult time activating this software. I have spent way to many hours trying to activate this stupid software . I should be billing them for my time.
Even the Rockwell Tech. support is too arrogant to be any help. My lack of patience doesn’t help either . It is not like development software that I am going to be making money on it. I just purchased RS View ME 75 Runtime Software and had no problem activating it.

The problem I am having is , I click on “FactoryTalk Activation Client” . I load a dongle driver , and then I get “ Cannot install client product when server product is already installed. I just simply loaded the software.

Would appreciate some ideas. I know it’s not much to go on. I am somewhat just venting. I am too busy to spend this time trying to activate this software.

Thanks in advance,

Do you have an dongle? The dongle just provides a MAC address the the activations use. Otherwise you can use the Ethernet adpater or Hard Drive Serial Number for the activations. i've never used the dongle. Also maybe you should start a new thread on this.

I know this is an old thread , but I was looking for help with Rockwell activations. I have worked with Allen Bradley ( Rockwell ) for almost 24 years and this is the most disappointed I have ever been in Rockwell Automation. I am planning on remodeling an area in the office for a technical / training library. I purchased the Rockwell RS Trainer bundle for RSLogix 5000 . I am having the most difficult time activating this software. I have spent way to many hours trying to activate this stupid software . I should be billing them for my time.
Even the Rockwell Tech. support is too arrogant to be any help. My lack of patience doesn’t help either . It is not like development software that I am going to be making money on it. I just purchased RS View ME 75 Runtime Software and had no problem activating it.

The problem I am having is , I click on “FactoryTalk Activation Client” . I load a dongle driver , and then I get “ Cannot install client product when server product is already installed. I just simply loaded the software.

Would appreciate some ideas. I know it’s not much to go on. I am somewhat just venting. I am too busy to spend this time trying to activate this software.

Thanks in advance,

I agree that you should probably have started a new thread for this. There have been times over the years that I have been frustrated with AB but I still use their products. Now in regards to your activation issue. Have you called tech support about this? You can get support for activations without a contract. I usually get a prompt response when calling about activations. I would never have spent "hours" trying to activate software. Frankly, that doesn't make much sense. have never used a dongle either.