Fed up with RSViewSE distributed redundant

Does it require weekly reboots to keep it running like RSView SE?
Does it have a useful scripting language? Does it have a robust object model with access to the tag properties and display object properties? Does it have central management of displays and tags? Were they smart enough to use a real database inside instead of some kind of linked list? Can you right click on a tag name and get a cross reference of where it's used?

1. Does not require weekly reboots - "Gateway" is based on a lightweight embedded Apache Tomcat web server and Java servlet, which is very stable.
2. Uses Python as scripting language. Is useful and easy with script builders. Is powerful (large library and access to pretty much everything). Has many global events (logon, logoff, timer in shared/separate thread, key press) and local event support (mouse over, click, object property change, etc). Does not include debugger, but has test tools.
3. Yes on the robust object model including a strong "binding" system and script access.
4. Provided that you are using SQLTags, you have central management of tags and properties.
5. Database runs on a standard SQL database - typically MS SQL Server or MySQL, but could also be: PostgreSQL, Oracle, etc.
6. You can not do a reverse lookup by tag.

The strongest advantage is that the clients are (Java) web based - meaning that 1. "installation" is clicking on a link from a browser, then subsequently an icon. 2. Licensing supports unlimited concurrent clients.

gougeeye said:
Does it require weekly reboots to keep it running like RSView SE?
Does it have a useful scripting language? Does it have a robust object model with access to the tag properties and display object properties? Does it have central management of displays and tags? Were they smart enough to use a real database inside instead of some kind of linked list? Can you right click on a tag name and get a cross reference of where it's used?

When I was working in a plant, I got the network issues as well. All of the RS expert said the same thing to me, and we did fix the network speed at the switch and PLC. It worked well for a while. But after one shut down time, dont know reason, network got issue again, we have to change the fix to be auto-negoiate.
just keep in mind, in case you get issue later.
good luck!

OkiePC said:
Well, we got our distributor involved, and he worked with Rockwell to get us some help.

We still need to explore the settings of some of our network switches. One of the biggest issues the RA experts found was using auto-negotiate. They said it is always better to give all the devices a fixed speed and duplex, so we have done that for the SLCs and the PCs, and some of the switches.

Paul