Fiber OPtic & Ethernet

duncan

Hello,

I want to compare Fiber optic and ethernet communication in automation field.Please tell me the differences regarding application,advantages,speed etc....

Thanks....

Sometimes fibreoptic is eathernet.

Assuming you mean TP Ethernet compared to FO Ethernet, you get:

Speed - No difference, both can potentially run at either 10, 100 or 1000mbps.

Cost, TP is cheaper
Installation, TP is easier
Noise immunity, FO is just so much better, but STP or UTP may be good enough.
Distance, TP max 100m, FO max about 3km.

Doug

Fibre optics is only a medium....

The distance can be greatly improved by utilising a different type of fibre, glass compared to plastic, and changing from a multi-mode fibre to single mode.

The only con to this is the price! :)