Field Updates of code, S7-1200 and Tia portal v17

marko18

Hello all,

I'm very new to PLCs, and I'm working on a system utilizing an S7-1200 PLC with a KTP400 Basic HMI, and it was programmed in Tia portal v17. This system is currently in use by a customer on the other side of the country, but I have been working on a new version of the plc/hmi software in this system to fix some bugs and add a few features.

I am going to finalize and release a new revision of the software and was wondering how it would be possible to allow the customer to update the plc/hmi code of their system without having access to Tia Portal. The code I would be updating controls the PLC and the HMI, so both would need to be updated. Ideally they would just pop a memory card in the PLC and update the code that way, but I don't know how it would work. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited:
The best way is to arrange a VPN connection. You can then both troubleshoot and load changes to both PLC and HMI.

In case you cannot get a remote VPN connection to the site.
For the S7-1200, theoretically, You could read out the content of the flash card in a normal card reader, zip the content and send it to the customer, and he reverses the process.
Just don't format the card in the card reader, even if Windows suggest to do so.
But I would be cautious, if anything goes wrong (i.e. formatting the card), your customer is f****d.
I would program a flash card and send it in the mail.

For the KTP400, Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think that you cannot backup/restore to flashcard with the basic panels.
If backup/restore to flashcard is not possible, then use the Prosave program to create a backup file from a similar KTP400 panel where you have loaded the program with the change.
You can send the backup file plus the installation program for Prosave to the customer. The customer can then install the backup onto his own KTP400 panel.

The best way is to arrange a VPN connection. You can then both troubleshoot and load changes to both PLC and HMI.

For the S7-1200, theoretically, You could read out the content of the flash card in a normal card reader, zip the content and send it to the customer, and he reverses the process.
Just don't format the card in the card reader, even if Windows suggest to do so.
But I would be cautious, if anything goes wrong (i.e. formatting the card), your customer is f****d.

For the KTP400, Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think that you cannot backup/restore to flashcard with the basic panels.
If backup/restore to flashcard is not possible, then use the Prosave program to create a backup file from a similar KTP400 panel where you have loaded the program with the change.
You can send the backup file plus the installation program for Prosave to the customer. The customer can then install the backup onto his own KTP400 panel.

With TIA portal Versions greater than V15.

You can backup the HMI to a standard USB dive. An then load the image from that USB by plugging it into the HMI.

100% agree.

In Portal, you can go to Card Reader/USB Memory (very bottom of project tree) -> Add User-defined Card Reader to have Portal use a folder on your PC as a memory card. Then you can download to the folder acting as a pretend card, and not have to worry about copying the files off the card to send.

Agree, though, that mailing the SD card to customer is least error prone approach, even if it takes longer.

I think that was true of the 1st gen basic panels, but I think the 2nd gen can. Also not 100% sure though.

Thanks for the quick reply. VPN Connection wouldn't really be possible in this instance, the customer is US government affiliated so I think that's off the table. I'm most likely going to load the project onto a memory card and mail it. So I've looked into using the memory cards, as far as I can tell, I would have to set my memory card to transfer mode, then load the PLC code from my Tia project onto the card, does this sound right?

I'm also a bit confused on the Prosave protocol for the HMI. Could you explain this further and how I can use Prosave to get the HMI file to the customer?

If all this works, what would the customer have to do once they receive the flashcard? When they insert the card into their system, would the PLC/HMI code just automatically load and overwrite any existing code? Would they be able to update their whole system without access to Tia portal? I apologize for the lengthy and confusing discussion. Thanks again

Last edited:
The same guy has a video on how to load the S7-1200 program via the flash card:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1xIjIj_d2I

edit: He also dont show how to load the program update to the flash card. I guess the videos is to aid an end-user to load programs that he sends to the end-user.
At least it proves it is possible.

Very helpful! Thank you!! :nodi:(y)

It seems that loading the PLC/HMI programs onto their respective memory card/USB is as easy as dragging the PLC/HMI folders into those devices in the TIA v17 project tree.