Fieldbus communication fault 45

BITI BISHARA

Hello guys,
I am facing field bus communication fault 45.Abb drive model is ACS850.
What could be reason for this fault 45 ( Fieldbus communication).
Kindly support and help me to solve this problem.
Kind regards.
Biti

Can you provide more information? Which is the network you are using (fieldbus)? Profibus? What is the part number of the controller device which is controlling the drive?

Last edited:
Hello Alfredo,
It is profibus communication.ABB inverter controlling a motor.Inverter type...Acs 850...
I interchanged prifibus adapter with good one but still same.Now I observed this inverter is showing alarm Fault 45 Field bus communication and plc (siemens) CPU SF led steady red and BF led blinking .I could not avail to reset the fault.
Kindly support and help me.
Regards.
Biti

OK, Biti. If you have BF (bus failure) it is very likely a communication problem. What is the baud rate of the bus, how long is the cable, are you using standard Profibus media? How many nodes are in the Profibus segement? Are there repeaters?

Thanks for supporting.
It is only half meter profits cable. There is only three node.Two VFD Drive and other one is Hmi.
Since longtime, it was working good but one day before the panel got the fire from panel air condition.During fire panel got over heat and now I observed almost all are ok except One VFD Drive.we don't use repeter here.
Baud rate I don't know.I have to check it.
Thanks.

PLease confirm that the nodes at either end of the Profibus line have the terminator resistor on and the other nodes in between do not have the terminator resistor on. If the baud rate is 1.5 MBaud or over, the inter-node cable length should be one meter at least, because less than this length can cause reflexion problems.

P
PLease confirm that the nodes at either end of the Profibus line have the terminator resistor on and the other nodes in between do not have the terminator resistor on. If the baud rate is 1.5 MBaud or over, the inter-node cable length should be one meter at least, because less than this length can cause reflexion problems.
Yes profibus connector is on position and other one is off position.Also, I interchanged profibus connector with another good one and always showing same fault on VFD.

With regards to the terminators, if you have three nodes, two of the connectors (at both ends), should be ON, while the one in the middle should be OFF.

Is the Profibus cable's colour pink and has some identification such as "Siemens", or "Belden", that can indicate it is standard Profibus media?

Profibus cable colour is pink.
First node connector is off and last one is on.also I interchange this connector between two node but still problem is the same VFD.

OK, so the Profibus media is standard, Profibus connectors' termination is properly set at both ends only, so we can pretty much rule out media problems. Still the VFB indicates BF (bus failure) and yet, if I understand correctly previous explanations, nobody has changed the configuration in the master. You mention there are three nodes (one HMI and 2 VFDs). Since the VFDs are usually Profibus DP slaves, then the HMI is not only HMI but is a Profibus master with HMI capability. Since one of the VFDs is actually working, then the master side has to be working. I can only think that the damage caused by the air conditioner fire has reached somehow the VFD which is not working. Does the documentation of the HMI mention any Profibus DP diagnostics? All Profibus DP slaves must support minimum set of diagnostic services, as it is mandatory in the specification. Many Profibus masters (though unfortunately not all) offer some easy way of looking into diagnostics from Profibus field devices. What is the part number and maker of the HMI/Profibus master being used in this installation?