File Transfer

vhjamison

Hello all im using S7 315 proc. and the final goal is to be able to send various information (Strings,bits) to a file in which someone can view on a computer in a text format. They will have ethernet out to the PLC if that route would be possible or maybe have a stick a USB stick in the hmi port and it send it to that?

The 315 PLC itself could send TCP messages (if it has an Ethernet port), but it doesn't have any native concept of files. If you had an external PC program, it could take those messages and turn them into a file. Something like an external data logger could potentially grab and store the data for you as well.

I think the most straightforward way is to use a CP343-1, which then supports protocols like FTP. If you have a secure Ethernet connection between . It might support email as well, but unfortunately this is typically hard to use because modern email systems expect all kinds of security, and PLC's rarely support any.

It might be possible to do it as you said in an HMI. I assume you're using a Siemens panel. There are two potential ways to do this. One would be a standard data log, although I don't know if those support strings. The other would be to write a script that creates a file on the USB stick. One thing to watch out for, however, is that I think the panels only check for the presence of a USB stick when they boot up. Once the stick is not present, it won't be able to use it until you restart the HMI. The error messages it gives you in this case are often unclear or nonexistant.

Are you trying to get the data sent to you from someone offsite, or are you trying to stay within the same network?

The 315 we are using does have 2 Ethernet ports and 1 port for Profibus, We are using a Siemens MP panel, I believe that they will just grab the information once a day I believe in which the USB may not be that big of a hassle? They willl all be in the same Network

I have and make such programs. Check www.automationsoftware.be. If you want I can send you one of thse programs on the website or change the 'data logger' to match your requirements. Data Logger writes to csv files.

Regards
G