Studio5000 and SD Cards remote file transfer

Tom Heberling

OK Peeps. First I'm using Studio5000 and L30ER CompactLogix v31. I know how to load and save a program to the SD card while online with the processor. What I don't know is can I save/export and email a program file then have the person on the receiving end use a SDcard writer to save that file to an SDcard and then plug it into the L30ER to get program updates remotely? They don't have programming software. Or do I physically need to mail the SD card back and forth, plug it into a processor to update the program on it?

Cheers
🍺

Essentially yes, you can do what you are after.

The file saved on the SD card is an "image" of the controller. It is not a file you can open with RSLogix/Studio 5000. It can only be loaded to/from the controller. Heard rumblings we would get the ability to open that file in Studio 5000 but so far we cannot.

This is why you cannot save your program directly to the SD card from your PC. It must save from the controller to the SD card to get the "image" of the controller.

What you can do though is make whatever changes you need and save that update to the SD card using Studio 5000 to transfer the controller image to the SD card. Then, remove the SD card from the controller and insert into your computer (or a USB SD card reader. Look for the Logix folder. Zip that folder and email it to your remote user.

They would then have to extract the Zip file to their own SD card (overwriting the existing Logix folder). Reinsert into their controller and power up.

OG

Keep in mind I believe there are some gotcha’s involved with this. I don’t know for sure but I believe in this situation the program is updated form SD on every power up. That’s all well and fine if you don’t have any operator parameters. If someone changes a set point from an hmi, then the machine is power cycled, that change the operator made will be overwritten by the sd transfer.

We have a loaner vpn. If it’s non urgent I configure the vpn for their network and ship it to them. They install the vpn and when I’m done they ship it back to me.