Fire Sensor for Hydraulic System

One of the guys here worked on those big systems. He says that if the oil vaporizes enough the nozzel (or hole) will create enough static to light it up.

Must be exciting, his eys got big around as he was describing one that he witnessed.

leitmotif said:
With respect to ruptures they leave to avoid getting wet with oil or not breathing oil mist.

Having been through more than my fair share of hydraulic oil showers, I can attest to that. Everyone starts running.

I remember once when we were starting up a new 350HP platform several years ago. One of the connections off an 8" header had been made up but not tightened. Bubba saw it and, being the considerate guy that he is, took off running without saying anything. Seconds later the joint cut loose. Three of us, myself included, got completely hosed - there was a oil-fee silouete on the oil coverd behind me. The oil ran down behind my safety glasses and I couldn't see a thing - I had to be led to a sink.

Peter, I think you know Krug - sometime ask him about the time he drove home naked. (He had a brand new car and he was completely soaked front and back, so he stripped in the parking lot and drove home.

leitmotif said:
With respect to "normal" hydraulic system leaks - people ignore them all the time.

:oops: .... you mean the rags on the floor is not enough?? or "we have more cat litter, should I pour more on it?" :)

We hve had an injection Mold machine burn up here. One of the hoses for the nozzle shut off valve developed a pin hole and sprayed a heater band on the barrel. This fire got out of control in a matter of minutes. At that time we did not have a fire supression system so we thru the main on the switch gear and ran. Now we have heat sensors in a hood over the barrrels of our machines that will kill all power to the machine. We have our trips disconnecting the main feed for machine. This way all power is removed so secondary ignition sources are elimated. Downside is we sometimes have plstic flame up. Cold start ups are notorious for this.

In my opinion this is a very rare occurance. Also the machine was over 20 years old when it went up in flames.

Alaric,

I had to do something similar for our FM agent on some hot oil systems. I just used a heat detector mounted approx. 6' above the unit. It would shut the unit down if it went off.

heatdetector.GIF

It carries an FM approval.