first time using cx-programmer - tips needed

gbeaker

I am using version 9.11 talking to a CQM1H CPU21. It is in turn communicating with a UniOP Hmi via serial.

I do not have the original source so I had to upload from the controller. I am trying to find out what bits trigger alarms on the HMI.

Through the code I see coils named 20.0, 20.1 - 40.0, 40.1 etc all the way up to 102.07.

What the best way to tell which of these coils are inputs, outputs, and system bits? How can I tell which coils come from the HMI?

I am trying to find an input or output listing like in RS Logix 500 but I don't see anything.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Ok, I've got the I/O mapped out but I am still having trouble with the serial port. According to the document posted above, the serial port uses the LR memory area. I can see the LR area in the Memory window, but how do I find the code that reads/writes to it? The only memory locations I see listed in the program are numbers (coils) and DM's which I don't see listed in the document posted above.

great, thanks.

I am at home now so I can't review the program but is this the only way to communicate to an HMI through a serial link? I don't remember seeing a TXD or RXD instruction in the program but I may have missed it. Can the HMI not access the PLC memory directly like in an allen bradley PLC?

Ahh, I thought you were trying to drive the serial port from within the PLC.

Now I understand that you want to know where the HMI maps to in memory. I don't know the Uniop sorry, but for any HMI I ever used, the addressing of the tags (or whatever uniop call them) is defined in the setup of the HMI.

Hopefully someone with Uniop experience will tell you that the configuration can be uploaded and examined to find the mapping.
If not then I would changing values/pushing button on the HMI and looking what data changes at the PLC end, if it's been programmed in a sensible way all this will be in logical structure and this may give a clue to where the alarm bits are.

Last edited:
That is an old PLC and is no longer supported. I have not used one for many years and I am very rusty - I think the last time I used one was probably 6-8 years ago.
I do not know your HMI but if I remember correctly with Omron early HMIs you actually had to do a lot of work in the PLC to change screens and the like.
Your best bet may be to have a look in the HMI program and find which bits and words it uses and reverse engineer back into the PLC software.