first time with a micrologix 1500 - some basic questions

Windows XP SP3 may have caused some trouble with the very old RSLogix/RSLinx versions, but should not be a problem for a newer version unless you need to use the PIC driver, and there is an unofficial workaround for that.

I have SP3 on this machine and RSLogix 500 v7.1, RSLinx v2.51, and RSNetworx for Devicenet have been trouble free.

This is a heck of a support site!
One day and I'm almost done!

I have a message in to my local distributor to discuss the software options and now I can talk (somewhat) intelligently about the options you have all outlined.

I will let you know how I make out.

Anyway, I will come back and conclude this thread when I have a solution from my distributor. Then I can bug you all for programming tips!

Thanks again.

to Bob O ...

I haven’t tried it myself – but I think that the “free” download software only works with MicroLogix 1000 and MicroLogix 1100 ... the 1500 is (I think) a “no go” situation ... others will either confirm that or correct me ...

Yes you are correct... and its a no-go with 1200's

But I am glad that they included all 1000's and 1100's its better then just the L10's :)

please don’t let me muddy the waters, but I’m just curious about something ...

my question: if the stuff (the hardware and the software) was all purchased at the same time, it seems that although it is now “old” - it SHOULD still match up and work together ... in other words, the old hardware and the old software would have worked back then (presumably) ... and so the same old hardware and the same old software should (my best guess) still work together now ...

Good point.

But, the no micrologix1500 in the processors list pretty much clinches that it needs an upgrade.

The XP SP3 may cause problems too, especially with the old version. I haven't heard anyone say version 8.10 won't work under SP3, just Rockwell hasn't certified it.

Last edited:
First, I am using the RS232 DF1 devices driver ........ is this the correct one?

When I auto configure it picks up my workstation and also an 'unrecognized device' .... which I take as the ML1500.

I had this happen when I initially connected a compactlogix L31 to the DF1 driver. Just like you said, it finds the device but a yellow question mark indicates it does not know what it is. You need to get the .eds file for your processor from the AB web site. Add it using the RSLinx Tools\EDS Hardware Installation Tool program. If your not sure which exact ML1500 version you have then just install them all.

Great joy!
I am a happy camper!
I am now upgraded to RSLogix500 version 8.1

I have developed my first test program (a flasher circuit using 2 timers) and d/l'd to the plc.....using an Xoff as input and I have a beautiful clicking sound 2 seconds on and 5 seconds off.

Many thanks to everyone who helped me out.

I can now get some value out of these plc's and I can explore the capabilities of the software.

I will definitely be coming back for programming advice.

Again, many thanks.

ps....the software plays nice with XP Pro SP3