Flight Horror Stories

My worst flight was from Springfield, Missouri to San Antonio, Texas many years before 911. It was also my first flight.

Springfield was a small airport (not sure what it is like anymore), nothing more than about four gates and a bored guy sitting at security.

We got there at 5:30 for a 6:00am flight on a small prop commuter plane. We sit down in front of the gate where we can see the plane out of the window. As we sit there, 6:00 rolls around and no one has showed up at the plane yet. About 6:20 a trolley comes by, hooks up to the plane and drives off. Still no announcement and me and my buddy look at each other and wonder what in the world is going on.

About 10 minutes later the trolley returns with a new plane. Another 10 minutes go by until we see the pilot come out and try to start it. He cranks on it for about three or four minutes then walks off the plane and disappears.

Again the trolley shows up and takes the plane away. Finally an announcement is made that we will get tickets on a United 737 to Denver and connecting arrangements to San Antonio.

Once we were airborne that flight to Denver was the longest one I have ever taken or at least it seemed so that day. Remember it is my very first time on a plane. Turbulence from the moment we took off to the minute we landed. We were dropping 200-400 feet at a time. I was sitting in the wing exit row watching the wing flap like a pigeon trying to take off. Back then I didn't understand anything about aviation engineering and that the wing is supposed to move like that to keep from shearing off. All I could think about was how in the world is this thing staying in the air, followed by I'm going to die or be sick any minute. Once we were on the ground my buddy spent the next thirty minutes ribbing me about it.

I was very hesitant to get on that connecting flight. Luckily it was smooth once we got a hundred or so miles from Denver. If it hadn't been, I might have never stepped foot back on a plane again.

Good idea for a thread.
There are three flights I will remember.

Flight from Copenhagen to Bangkok:
Going down the runway at full throttle, just before the nose would start to lift, full brakes were applied !
The plane went back to the gate for a mechanical check. It was just a sensor on a the baggage hold door that was fiddly.

Flight from Melbourne to Bangkok:
Halfway over Australia an old lady became sick, and we went down to Perth to unload her. Waited 3 hours in Perth. Then, halfway over the Indian ocean, another old lady got sick. This time the pilot decided to continue to Bangkok though. Needles to say, the connecting flight to Copenhagen was long gone. So I waited for another 5 hours in a drab humid lounge in Bangkok, before I could fly for Rome. After arriving to Rome, I nearly missed my flight to Copenhagen because I had to wrangle with the transfer desk persons (wonderful when you are dead tired). Finally, I arrived to Copenhagen after 30 hours on monkey class. It took me several days to get over that flight.

Flight from Schiphol to Caracas: Tired old 747 jam-packed with KLM staff (I think they got the trip as a bonus or something). These KLM people sure knew how to party, all the way over the atlantic, grrrrr...
The party stopped though as we entered a storm, and the old 747 ached and creaked as the overhead compartments sprung open one by one. We all got bagage falling down on our heads. If you were lucky, it was a softbag, not if it is a hard-case. Impossible to go the restroom, if you were not strapped down you would be thrown hard into the ceiling. Luckily noone got seriously hurt. Awful flight.

Oh, not really a on the topic, but still:

I was in Frankfurt when there was a bomb-scare. Hundreds of police with MGs were cordoning off areas, with people looking on. We were informed that no flights would leave until further notice.
Of course people start to bicker. Then one guy next to me said jokingly to a policeman that they didnt have to look for the bomb, because he had it right there in his brief case. The policeman just calmly said that it was no matter to make jokes about.
Obviously that was around 18 years ago. Today, I think I would have been dragged in for interrogation as well, even if I was just a bystander.

A bit OT but funny ( just for laughs...) some Air Hostess announcements...

All too rarely, airline attendants make an effort to make the in flight "safety lecture" and
announcements a bit more entertaining. Here are some real examples that have been
heard or reported:
1. On a Southwest flight (SW has no assigned seating, you just sit where you want)
passengers were apparently having a hard time choosing, when a flight attendant
announced, "People, people we're not picking out furniture here, find a seat and get in it!"
2. On a Continental Flight with a very "senior" flight attendant crew, the pilot said, "Ladies
and gentlemen, we've reached cruising altitude and will be turning down the cabin lights.
This is for your comfort and to enhance the appearance of your flight attendants."
3. On landing, the stewardess said, "Please be sure to take all of your belongings. If you're
going to leave anything, please make sure it's something we'd like to have.
4. "There may be 50 ways to leave your lover, but there are only 4 ways out of this
airplane"
5. "Thank you for flying Delta Business Express. We hope you enjoyed giving us the
business as much as we enjoyed taking you for a ride."
6. As the plane landed and was coming to a stop at Ronald Reagan, a lone voice came
over the loudspeaker: "Whoa, big fella. WHOA!"
7. After a particularly rough landing during thunderstorms in Memphis, a flight attendant
on a Northwest flight announced, "Please take care when opening the overhead
compartments because, after a landing like that, sure as hell everything has shifted."
8. From a Southwest Airlines employee: "Welcome aboard Southwest Flight 245 to
Tampa.. To operate your seat belt, insert the metal tab into the buckle, and pull tight. It
works just like every other seat belt; and, if you don't know how to operate one, you
probably shouldn't be out in public unsupervised."
9. "In the event of a sudden loss of cabin pressure, masks will descend from the ceiling.
Stop screaming, grab the mask, and pull it over your face. If you have a small child
traveling with you, secure your mask before assisting with theirs. If you are traveling with
more than one small child, pick your favorite."
10. "Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but we'll try to
have them fixed before we arrive. Thank you, and remember, nobody loves you, or your
money, more than Southwest Airlines."
11. "Your seat cushions can be used for flotation; and, in the event of an emergency water
landing, please paddle to shore and take them with our compliments."
12. "As you exit the plane, make sure to gather all of your belongings. Anything left behind
will be distributed evenly among the flight attendants. Please do not leave children or
spouses."
13. And from the pilot during his welcome message: "Delta Airlines is pleased to have
some of the best flight attendants in the industry. Unfortunately, none of them are on this
flight!"
14. Heard on Southwest Airlines just after a very hard landing in Salt Lake City the flight
attendant came on the intercom and said, "That was quite a bump, and I know what y'all
are thinking. I'm here to tell you it wasn't the airline's fault, it wasn't the pilot's fault, it
wasn't the flight attendant's fault, it was the asphalt."
15. Overheard on an American Airlines flight into Amarillo, Texas, on a particularly windy
and bumpy day: During the final approach, the Captain was really having to fight it. After
an extremely hard landing, the Flight Attendant said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to
Amarillo. Please remain in your seats with your seat belts fastened while the Captain taxis
what's left of our airplane to the gate!"
16. Another flight attendant's comment on a less than perfect landing: "We ask you to
please remain seated as Captain Kangaroo bounces us to the terminal."
17. An airline pilot wrote that on this particular flight he had hammered his ship into the
runway really hard. The airline had a policy which required the first officer to stand at the
door while the Passengers exited, smile, and give them a "Thanks for flying our airline."
He said that, in light of his bad landing, he had a hard time looking the passengers in the
eye, thinking that someone would have a smart comment. Finally everyone had gotten off
except for a little old lady walking with a cane. She said, "Sir, do you mind if I ask you a
question?" "Why, no, Ma'am," said the pilot. "What is it?" The little old lady said, "Did we
land, or were we shot down?"
18. After a real crusher of a landing in Phoenix, the attendant came on with, "Ladies and
Gentlemen, please remain in your seats until Capt. Crash and the Crew have brought the
aircraft to a screeching halt against the gate. And, once the tire smoke has cleared and the
warning bells are silenced, we'll open the door and you can pick your way through the
wreckage to the terminal."
19. Part of a flight attendant's arrival announcement: "We'd like to thank you folks for
flying with us today. And, the next time you get the insane urge to go blasting through the
skies in a pressurized metal tube, we hope you'll think of US Airways."
20. Heard on a Southwest Airline flight. "Ladies and gentlemen, if you wish to smoke, the
smoking section on this airplane is on the wing and if you can light 'em, you can smoke
'em."

Not really a bad flight, just interesting... I was landing in Sao Paulo on a flight from Rio during a thunderstorm. It was late in the evening and dark outside. Turbulence was bad, but not as bad as some I've been in. I was sitting in a window seat just behind the wing and looking out the window when I saw a lightning bolt strike the plane. There were mini bolts radiating out all along the wing. I knew planes were made to take lightning strikes (in fact every plane experiences about one strike a year) so I wasn't concerned, it was however completely unexpected. It was actually kinda cool to see.

The absolute worst flight ever was a flight from Paris to Cincinnati in 1996. The flight was uneventful, and I had no complaints about the flight crew at all. The plane was packed to the gills with old French women - some kind of a tour as the all seemed to know each other. If you have ever spent much time in France, I think you know why that was the worst flight ever. If you haven't, then just imagine being in a tube with a hundred old women who haven't bathed in days who think they can mask it with copious amounts of perfume. To make matters worse, it was a slow Airbus that poked along at 450 mph. Definitely worst flight ever.

Oh, not really a on the topic, but still:

I was in Frankfurt when there was a bomb-scare. Hundreds of police with MGs were cordoning off areas, with people looking on. We were informed that no flights would leave until further notice.
Of course people start to bicker. Then one guy next to me said jokingly to a policeman that they didnt have to look for the bomb, because he had it right there in his brief case. The policeman just calmly said that it was no matter to make jokes about.
Obviously that was around 18 years ago. Today, I think I would have been dragged in for interrogation as well, even if I was just a bystander.

I was in Nice France in 1999 and we had just arrived at the airport a few minutes before when police in bomb gear rushed into the airport and started pushing everyone back. They roped of a large area and brought in a bunch of the big blast mattresses. A short time later I heard a loud boom. A few minutes later they removed the barriers and everything returned to normal. We walked through the area to to get to our check in desk and saw the remnants of exploded luggage and its shredded contents and one very livid woman crying and arguing with police. I can only assume that she left her luggage unattended for a while and was not very happy with the consequences, but the police were not taking any chances and blew it up.

13. And from the pilot during his welcome message: "Delta Airlines is pleased to have some of the best flight attendants in the industry. Unfortunately, none of them are on this flight!"

I've actually heard that one... I think its been used many times.

Southwest Airlines always has humorous announcements.

I arrived in China after an uneventful flight. After finally getting through the exit, I walked the entire line of sign holders looking for my company or my name. At that point, I realized I had forgotten to make arrangements to be picked up that day at the airport.

Luckily, there was another person in China from my location. I called him and managed to get picked up later that day.

Worst:
Flying home from Dusseldorf, I arrived in Newark. Made it to the connecting flight no problem. Sat in the connection waiting at the gate until finally they announced the flight was cancelled due to weather. By the time I managed to get to a desk and arrange for another flight, hotels had filled up. Nothing like spending a night in an airport.

I arrived in China after an uneventful flight. After finally getting through the exit, I walked the entire line of sign holders looking for my company or my name. At that point, I realized I had forgotten to make arrangements to be picked up that day at the airport.

Luckily, there was another person in China from my location. I called him and managed to get picked up later that day.

That reminds me of a time where my driver's license had expired. Got on the plane no problem, but the rental company wouldn't rent me a car at my destination. Spent the entire week bumming rides, walking or using taxis.

Spent Christmas Eve 1992 snowed in at O'Hare. Actually quite peaceful once you realize you're not getting home.

To relate somebody else's story: I had a boss who never made his flights.

Every time he went to the airport, he was either delayed and missed the flight, or it was canceled, or somehow they didn't have his reservation. This wasn't an exaggeration: it happened every single time. It's one of the reasons I became the company's lead traveling troubleshooter, because he couldn't get anywhere on schedule.

He explained to me one day his strongly held belief about why this kept on happening to him. One morning in 1975 he was badly hung-over and missed his flight muster for an ordinary P-3 patrol he was supposed to pilot out of Saigon. Even the MP's couldn't find him, so they assigned another pilot and took off.

An SA-2 missile got them. No survivors. His next flight was an evacuation. To this day he has not made another flight on time.

I'm not superstitious, but I think leitmotif would agree that the Navy is.

Spent Christmas Eve 1992 snowed in at O'Hare. Actually quite peaceful once you realize you're not getting home.

To relate somebody else's story: I had a boss who never made his flights.

Every time he went to the airport, he was either delayed and missed the flight, or it was canceled, or somehow they didn't have his reservation. This wasn't an exaggeration: it happened every single time. It's one of the reasons I became the company's lead traveling troubleshooter, because he couldn't get anywhere on schedule.

He explained to me one day his strongly held belief about why this kept on happening to him. One morning in 1975 he was badly hung-over and missed his flight muster for an ordinary P-3 patrol he was supposed to pilot out of Saigon. Even the MP's couldn't find him, so they assigned another pilot and took off.

An SA-2 missile got them. No survivors. His next flight was an evacuation. To this day he has not made another flight on time.

I'm not superstitious, but I think leitmotif would agree that the Navy is.

I dont think it was superstition just a matter of proper evaluation of an emperically derived result. It must be working he has not crashed yet.

Sorta like the sea story of a Thresher crewman who broke his leg one day before the sea trial where they sank.
Just luck??

I dont know if we were all that superstitious but we firmly believed in
"if it is running OK leave it alone otherwise we will have to fix it" One of the reasons we got more time off and sleep when at sea.

The other reason was that time off and quality of life was a square function of distance from Squadron.

On the civilian side
it is best for mom to leave the two year old alone if he is happy and not underfoot. My mom gave the two year olds a couple of pots n lids and a spoon and set the whole mess in a corner out of the way but within visual (audible?) contact.
Banging kid = happy kid = happy mom.

Dan Bentler

One night I found myself on a late flight on North Central Airlines into Hibbing, Minn. I was bored stiff, since there were no in-flight movies on a Convair. I think everyone aboard except me and hopefully the pilot was asleep.

About midway up the aircraft, there was an old boy sitting in an aisle seat with his hand on the armrest, holding a lit cigarette. (This was a lonnng time ago) When a stewardess came by and served a drink to a passenger across the aisle, her backside brushed against the lit cigarette.

Without thinking, the old fellow reached out and began to brush the ashes off her backside. She whirled around with daggers in her
eyes, and I though this otherwise dull flight was about to be brightened up with an in-flight homocide.

Alas, after a few seconds she decided to accpet the the old boy's explanation that he meant no wrong, although I'm not sure she was really convinced.

London to Thailand: This happened to a good friend of mine, he had been working in Bangkok on flight simulators for around 2 years and regularly flew from england to thailand. Well one day he was off again from the uk and booked on a BA flight from heathrow, he managed to get a seat by the door near the front for more leg room. The plane started up the runway and then after about 30 seconds there was a huge bang, lots of turbulance and the door he was sat next to fell off (Well it was still hanging on the plane but not attached to the hole!) !!!

To say he was white was an understatement.

The worst thing for all of the passengers was that maintenance came out and screwed the door back on its hinges, checked it and then the plane took off again.

He reckoned he watched the door the whole 14ish hours to thailand.

He still remembers it now and that was some 22 years ago.

ten days ago on a flight from Vancouver to Seoul, plane was filling with smoke. they stopped the plane to check it out, while later after ventilation got rid of smoke capetain declares "it's probably normal" and goes full trottle...